Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
belenlives

Can you name this plant? and what is wrong with it??!

belenlives
9 years ago

I bought the plant thinking i could bring it back to life, outside, it is always drying out. And inside (and outside!) after it gets a certain amount of leafs the leafs begin to look pale and they have parts where each leaf looks like it got thinned out, so the sun comes through those parts a lot more. then they begin getting little holes! then fall off! I will post another picture of a leaf.
the soil I'm using is sta-green, which is flower and vegetable garden soil and it comes with fertilizer, 70% that and the rest is regular soil from my backyard which looks like a kind of soil that doesn't want water lol it acts as if it was duck feathers sometimes, and it takes it a lil while to absorb water. it is summer here and hot days but even when i got the plant back in winter it hated being outside, inside it survives a little longer but at some point the leafs begin that silly process of thinning out then falling off.
I have kept the plant under sun or part share of full shade and it just hates being outside. is this a total indoor plant?
It likes to be watered like once a week, it seems.
should i fertilize it ?!
thanks everyone!

Comments (9)

• belenlives
    Original Author
    9 years ago

you can see through the leafs when it starts getting "infected" it does this every time. i have checked for bug, there is none

• belenlives
    Original Author
    9 years ago

you can see through the leafs when it starts getting "infected" it does this every time. i have checked for bug, there is none

• richard
    9 years ago

Looks like spider mite damage, don't recognize the plant, sry.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Possibly Fatshedera lizei. And I agree about the spider mites.

• saltcedar
    9 years ago

Cnidoscolus chayamansa? (there are several leaf forms)

If so it must be outside in the sun. I agree it's got mites.
    Potting soil and dirt mixed is usually a recipe for disaster.

• belenlives
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone! I love this page!
    Can you please explain to me why mixing potting soil with dirt a bad idea? its all I've been doing in my garden and I dont want to keep doing it if its gonna affect my plants in such a negative way. I mix dirt with soil because I cant afford to use regular soil so I use what I have in my backyard, which is just dirt, are there any other alternatives? if not, then.. What type of soil do I need to buy to maintain vegetables and flowers healthy? which is what i have the most

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

If you grow in containers (pots) you need potting soil, period. It is essentially a soil-less mix of peat or coir, bark and some sort of drainage enhancement like perlite or pumice.

Growing plants in a container is very different from growing them in the ground. It is essentially a closed system and the grower - you - needs to supply all the input of nutrients, water and sunlight. And because it is a closed system, drainage is critical. Potting soil has been formulated to have very good drainage - garden soil does not. Second to drainage is aeration. Potting soil typically offers a range of textures and therefore adequate pore space to provide aeration. Garden soil tends to be dense and very uniform in particle size so aeration is often miniscule at best.

Garden soil - "dirt" - stays outdoors in the garden. You can enhance ordinary garden soil by adding compost or other organic matter or with various other amendments but often nothing else is required. Potting soil can be used for any container purpose - houseplants, seasonal color spots, hanging baskets, vegetables, or more permanent planter box or container plantings of trees and shrubs.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

Agreed. The reason soil is not good in a container is because of the tiny particles. In a pot, something more chunky, airy is better to reduce the risk of rotting roots. When tiny particles are in a pot, they fill all of the tiny spaces, eliminating the air in the pot. When roots have only moisture but no oxygen, rot usually occurs. Roots need oxygen and moisture at the same time to function.

• belenlives
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks you so much guys!! you guys are pro!! wow!!
    i will for sure buy potting soil from now on for my potted plants:)
    thanks again!!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting