Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eilnan

Can anyone help identify please?

eilnan
10 years ago

It's a climber with tendrils and new growth recently in May. Flowers at some point in late Spring/Summer.
Many thanks
Eileen

Comments (7)

• eilnan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's in the UK. Thanks

• flora_uk
    10 years ago

Looks like a Honeysuckle, Lonicera. Several named cultivars and several species so I don't know what this one might be. It looks a bit sickly and could do with a good cut back in the autumn. On his forum everyone hates Lonicera japonica but it isn't invasive in the UK so even if it is that one it isn't a problem. In front of the shed you also have a Parthenocissus but again I can't see from those new leaves which species. The two creepers could be intertwined and be causing some id confusion. Love your view. Where are you?

• Iris GW
    10 years ago

Lonicera doesn't have tendrils - it twines around things. It may just be that it was not well explained. If you want to see tendrils, look at examples of grape or clematis.

I agree, does look like Lonicera though.

• eilnan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks flora_uk. From memory I think I may have been told it was a honeysuckle in the past. I am no natural gardener but have taken it up recently so yes, the plants will probbaly be very sickly! At least until I get the hang of things! Thank you, we live outside Halifax, West Yorkshire. Where are you?
    The honeysuckle is planted in two pots on one side of the shed, both the same type as far as I can see. Will keep an eye on them to be sure and to finally identify them. Will prune them in autumn, now I know thats when it needs done!!
    Around the corner on the other side of the shed is a plant that I have queried in the clematis forum but people there are telling me that it is a Parthenocissus. It used to flower though, a pink flower which Parthenocissus doesnt seem to do, so Im not sure. Do you know the name of this clematis in this pic as I noticed a neighbour has it and its kind of similar. My 'clematis' leaves dont go red as the Parthenocissus is supposed to do so I am at a loss at the moment. The fun of gardening! I am enjoying it actually! Thanks for your help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to my post on clematis forum

• carol23_gw
    10 years ago

There is no Clematis visible in your photo. The only vine present is Parthenocissus as previously stated in your other post.

Besides other identifying traits, all Clematis have opposite leaf arrangement. Parthenocissus has alternate leaf arrangement as shown in the link below. That alone excludes it as a Clematis.

Here is a link that might be useful: Parthenocissus - alternate leaf arrangement

• flora_uk
    10 years ago

The plant which I can see on the front of the shed in your first picture and the one you posted on the Clematis forum is Parthenocissus quinquefolia, Virginia Creeper. (I can tell you that now with the bigger picture. The other candidate was P henryana.) It does not produce pink flowers and, in fact, in our climate, and especially yours, it often doesn't flower at all. It also doesn't always go red in the autumn, again to do with our climate.

It is possible that, as I suggested, any tendrils you are seeing are from the Parthenocissus. That is if you are using the term tendrils accurately.

My honeysuckle is in bud now and others round here are in flower. You could actually cut yours back anytime really since it seems that it isn't going to flower this year. Or at least cut out the dead stuff. Also it would be a lot happier in the ground than in a pot. They need a lot more attention in pots.

I'm in Somerset btw. Good gardening!

• eilnan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi all
    Sorry not sure if I had the correct understanding of tendrils. Thank you carol23 for the info on leaf arrangements - u Learn something new every day! Not sure where the clematis has gone but this is obviously not it! Thanks for help in identifying it as parthenocissus.
    Will tend to the honeysuckle now. Thanks for tips flora_uk. They are very much appreciated! :-)