Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
1 species or 2?

Posted by Nyphrodel 9 Florida (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 29, 13 at 2:45

I went for a walk tonight and saw that one of my neighbors' lillies were blooming in all their glory! I decided to pick some for my daughter who's been feeling down in the dumps lately and I noticed mixed amongst these huge lillies was a bush with absolutely beautiful tiny little flowers. It appears they bloom in stages. As you can see in the photo, they have a tiny little red flower that drops from the center. It looks to me as if the little red flower falls off and in due time, the remainder turns purple. It almost looks as if it's 2 different flowers. Am I correct in my assumption? Is this one bush whose blooms change as time goes by, or am I deceived and it is 2 seperate species?

Can someone please identify them? My neighbors are snowbirds and have left for the season so I can't ask them. I'd really love to know. I'm going back out and I'll get some more shots if necessary.

Thanks in advance!

Nyphrodel

UPDATE: I went back out to get a better look at this plant and after REALLY looking at the leaves and how it grows , I'm wondering if it's a hoya of some sort. Any ideas?

This post was edited by Nyphrodel on Sat, Jun 29, 13 at 3:30

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 1 species or 2?

It's Clerodendrum thomsoniae. Usually regarded as a "climber" though it does not have tendrils, just grows upwards with support. I'm sure you could regard it as a "shrub" if it were kept trimmed.
The flowers do go through those changes, bud to open flower and then to a remaining bract & occasional blackish round seed within.
A very lovely plant and easy to propagate - will root in water, if you tire of the flowers, don't throw the stems away you may be lucky.

o

Glad you got the plant ID...hope you are on good terms with your neighbours and they wouldn't mind you picking their flowers.

o

I'm actually on VERY good terms with my neighbors. I'm sort of like the neighborhood watch. You see, I don't sleep well, so I'm up and down most of the night. So I take walks around the neighborhood and have actually stopped a break-in for one neighbor. Then, I caught some college boys spray painting penis' on the cars in the complex across the street. (I named them the Penis Picassos). I also help most of them with their yard work and such because most are older and retired. Several of them are snowbirds and leave for the summer and I watch their houses while they're away. This year, there are actually 4 houses in a row that are all empty for the summer. This makes this street a target, so we keep a close watch around here. Plus I wouldn't pick anyone's flowers without permission first and only if there are A LOT of flowers and then I ask the plant's permission as well...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here