o
what is it?

Posted by bootscootengal (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 26, 14 at 7:58

came up in my sisters garden.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what is it?

Definitely some Rumex, aka dock or something. There are garden species, but IMO that type is a weed

o

its a weed in my garden ... do NOT let it seed

ken

o

I don't see the basal leaves of Rumex/dock.

It looks like a Persicaria to me, probably something along the lines of Lady's Thumb, which is known for the dark "thumb-print" smudges mid-leaf.

In the US, these are mostly weeds with attractive flowers (in this case, probably pink), though in Europe there are garden varieties. And Ken's correct that you don't want to let it go to seed.

o

It's got the chevron on the leaf that I associate with smartweed/knotweed.

In anycase, I'd pull that sucker

o

Persicaria

o

Sorry, got Rumex and Polygonum/ Persicaria mixed up,
bye, Lin

o

Lin, they're all in the Polygonaceae; I should have mentioned that ... which makes the Persicarias and the Rumexes cousins or something....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here