Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mystery popped up

Posted by carol23 z7NC (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 29, 13 at 8:05

What is this plant? I'm hoping it improves with age as the flowers open.
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mystery popped up

Entire plant view.

o

One more flower close up.

o

Plant with background to show form.

o

• Posted by mytime 3/4 Alaska (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 29, 13 at 12:00

Could it be something in the Collomia genus?

o

Mytime, I think that is exactly what it is! Collomia grandiflora looks very much like my plant. There are two smaller plants and the leaves are quite glossy. The description matches with blue pollen , the lower leaves having serrations, and photos on the net appear to match.

I received a batch of surplus NARGS seeds and scattered them. Some were of western origin .I had little hope of growing them on to flowering.
Perhaps the mountain climate enabled them to grow.

Thank you!

o

Sat, Jun 29, 13 at 15:59

Ah, a packet of seeds...that explains it! I thought it looked like C. grandiflora, but unless you'd gotten seeds (or planted something that a nursery originally obtained from the west), I was a little unsure. It's such a pretty little flower.

o

I'm looking forward to seeing it in full bloom. I am glad it wasn't a weed.
North American Rock Garden Society has many members contributing seed from all over the US as well as abroad. After the Seed Exchange ends each year, surplus seed is distributed to local NARGS chapters. I did not keep the empty packets because I held little hope on germination on most items since each packet holds a small amount of seed and by the time I received them, the seed was not fresh and probably about a year old.

After reading the description of Collomia grandiflora, I wonder if blue pollen is unusual in most flowers.

o

Sat, Jun 29, 13 at 17:15

Well, that's the way I found the C. grandiflora...I did a search for blue pollen...mostly it comes up in discussions of plants for honey. Surprisingly, fireweed was in those discussions. My yard abounds with fireweed...I love it (well, along the perimeter of my yard...not in the flower beds). As much as I have to pull before it goes to seed, you would think I would have noticed the pollen. I think of it as more gray than blue, so I went out and checked just now. It just doesn't show up as much against the rosy purple flower.

o

That IS a pretty little flower. Carol, would you consider posting another picture when it's in full bloom?

o

Jaynine, I'd be happy to take a picture and post when it's in full flower.
Collomia grandiflora is an annual.

o

Sat, Jun 29, 13 at 21:31

Carol, I sent you an email.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here