Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Poppy-like unk?

Posted by adidas 6/7 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 8, 14 at 8:11

I'm fairly sure this is non-native but it looks nice in a bed of dandelions...prob. not a poppy...too small...

ID please?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Poppy-like unk?

Most definitely a Poppy i.e. Papaver species. Papaver rhoeas would be a likely candidate. Size is totally in keeping.

o

You're right! I guess I'm remembering "Poppy day" from when I was little...these poppies seemed HUGE compared to this little thing...but then maybe that's because I was a little thing too :)

Thanks Floral!

o

Crikey - how big are the Poppies for US Poppy Day? Ours are just the same size as a real Papaver rhoes.

o

I don't think the US recognises Poppy Day....I wasn't here...but I remember having to buy paper ones...the teachers brought in real ones and if my memory serves me right (probably doesn't :) they were at least 4" across...the one I have here might be half that size!

o

Ah - so where were you? I read that wearing poppies actually started in the US. In the UK they are a papery material and life size. Real poppies wouldn't last in a buttonhole and are not in flower in November.

Here is a link that might be useful: US Poppy Days

o

I had no idea! Oddly enough, I was born in the US but my parents are English and we were, at the time I learned about Poppy Day, in New Zealand...so though my memory my be hazy and there may not even have been real poppies at all...I swear the teachers weren't wearing paper ones :)

Thanks for the link!

o

Aha - in NZ November would have been Summer so there might have been real poppies around. (Sorry to get side tracked but we have a nationwide schools project on at the moment to sow poppies for the 100th anniversary of WWI and I am puzzled that no one seems to have realised that they will no longer be blooming on Remembrance Day.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Poppy project

o

Def. a disconnect there....it's amazing that the schools don't seem to see a problem w/millions of little kids growing poppies and having them die well before the intended day for which they are growing them :(

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here