Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dandy_line

What is this Swamp Grass?

This grass likes wet areas and forms a clump. I have never noticed a flower. It is sort of a nuisance.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:244016}}

Comments (14)

• jeanne
    15 years ago

Compare your plant to Elymus, Wildrye Grass. The blue varieties are most popular and therefore at the top of the image results, but there are many different species and many aren't blue.

Jeanne

Here is a link that might be useful: Google image results

• dandy_line (Z3b N Cent Mn)
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I don't know that I'm totally convinced. I think I'll come back to this later in the season after it has spikes.

• giantslug
    15 years ago

It is definitely a native grass or sedge. It is always nice to see the native wetland grasses, I don't often see anything other than Reed Canarygrass in this area. The Dames Rocket (purple flower in upper left part of your photo) is the real nuisance.

Original Author
    15 years ago

I thought the grass might be a Panicum of some kind.
    The Dames rocket is not that big a nuisance to me. I planted this stuff!. I tell the neighbors I'm going to cut it down and they tell me no. It provides some color this time of the year and it really doesn't get that much out of control here(near Hutch). Once my wildflowers start coming back it will be gone then.

Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, it looks like the stuff is blossoming, if you can call it that. Any new ideas now?

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:244017}}

• jeanne
    15 years ago

Cyperus esculentus, Yellow Nutsedge. A weed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Google image results

• dbs_illinois_4
    15 years ago

I can't tell all that well from the picture, but it looks a lot more like Bottlebrush Sedge (Carex hystericinaa) or Bristly Sedge (Carex comosa) to me. Both are natural parts of the wetland ecosystem and, like giantslug said, way better than Reed Canary Grass! I recently saw the results of a planting done on a creek going through a local historical museum, where the Reed Canary had been removed and native species planted. The neighboring property is still infested with the grass. The contrast in beauty, biodiversity and stream quality was astounding. I am planning on going back and will take my camera, though my photo skills might not be up to it.

I also happen to love sedges anyway, though (and grasses). The one you show, for example, has such graceful foliage. Many of them do tend to collapse after blooming, which can be annoying, before sending up more erect new growth. What makes your sedge a pest? Does it spread to much?

Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok-I have two opinions so far. I'm tending toward Carex, but then what do I know.
    This plant seems to take up a lot of space for what it gives back. The one in the photo is out of the normal area and actually looks quite nice there. Most of them just kind of sit around and do nothing.
    I am on a project here to eliminate Reed Canary Grass in my meadow/swamp. I am going to post pics up on the Meadows & Prairies forum. I started last year on a small section and it gives me great pleasure to see it dead.

Original Author
    15 years ago

Here is a pic of some Solomon Seal I found after killing off the Reed Canary Grass. Notice the slow death in the background. All thanks to Roundup. It would normally be 6' high by now.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:244018}}

Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok-one more close up of flowering. There seems to be some sort of stick like appendage poking out of the top of the flower/seed case?.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:244019}}

• jeanne
    15 years ago

That's a staminate spike, it produces pollen.

Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm posting again because I'm not sure of the consensus. What did you guys decide that it is. Carex or not.

Original Author
    15 years ago

Wierd-my last post disappeared. Here it is again.

• dbs_illinois_4
    15 years ago

Well, as I have had time, I have been checking out this sedge more, as well as one on another forum and the ones in my yard. I am as sure as a rookie can be that it is a carex. I am leaning in favor of Carex lupulina, check out the link at the bottom and see what you think. (Very cool website, I hope I have time to check it out more!)

In the meantime, I also got some pictures of the site I referred to earlier. This the the side that is still Reed Canary Grass:

{{gwi:244020}}

Here is the side that has been restored:

{{gwi:244021}}

{{gwi:244022}}

BTW, this was accomplished by a woman in her seventies, with a few volunteers. Though a bit younger, I can never seem to find that much energy! I do hope to get involved in maintaining the area.

Here is a link that might be useful: Carex lupulina page from utc.usu.edu site