Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this Swamp Grass?

Posted by dandy_line 4a-Mn (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 9, 08 at 8:12

This grass likes wet areas and forms a clump. I have never noticed a flower. It is sort of a nuisance.

Here is a link that might be useful: Swamp grass

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this Swamp Grass?

Compare your plant to Elymus, Wildrye Grass. The blue varieties are most popular and therefore at the top of the image results, but there are many different species and many aren't blue.

Jeanne

Here is a link that might be useful: Google image results

o

I don't know that I'm totally convinced. I think I'll come back to this later in the season after it has spikes.

o

It is definitely a native grass or sedge. It is always nice to see the native wetland grasses, I don't often see anything other than Reed Canarygrass in this area. The Dames Rocket (purple flower in upper left part of your photo) is the real nuisance.

o

I thought the grass might be a Panicum of some kind.
The Dames rocket is not that big a nuisance to me. I planted this stuff!. I tell the neighbors I'm going to cut it down and they tell me no. It provides some color this time of the year and it really doesn't get that much out of control here(near Hutch). Once my wildflowers start coming back it will be gone then.

o

Well, it looks like the stuff is blossoming, if you can call it that. Any new ideas now?

Here is a link that might be useful: Grass is blossoming

o

Cyperus esculentus, Yellow Nutsedge. A weed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Google image results

o

I can't tell all that well from the picture, but it looks a lot more like Bottlebrush Sedge (Carex hystericinaa) or Bristly Sedge (Carex comosa) to me. Both are natural parts of the wetland ecosystem and, like giantslug said, way better than Reed Canary Grass! I recently saw the results of a planting done on a creek going through a local historical museum, where the Reed Canary had been removed and native species planted. The neighboring property is still infested with the grass. The contrast in beauty, biodiversity and stream quality was astounding. I am planning on going back and will take my camera, though my photo skills might not be up to it.

I also happen to love sedges anyway, though (and grasses). The one you show, for example, has such graceful foliage. Many of them do tend to collapse after blooming, which can be annoying, before sending up more erect new growth. What makes your sedge a pest? Does it spread to much?

o

Ok-I have two opinions so far. I'm tending toward Carex, but then what do I know.
This plant seems to take up a lot of space for what it gives back. The one in the photo is out of the normal area and actually looks quite nice there. Most of them just kind of sit around and do nothing.
I am on a project here to eliminate Reed Canary Grass in my meadow/swamp. I am going to post pics up on the Meadows & Prairies forum. I started last year on a small section and it gives me great pleasure to see it dead.

o

Here is a pic of some Solomon Seal I found after killing off the Reed Canary Grass. Notice the slow death in the background. All thanks to Roundup. It would normally be 6' high by now.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dying Reed Canary Grass

o
Another pic of flowering sedge

Ok-one more close up of flowering. There seems to be some sort of stick like appendage poking out of the top of the flower/seed case?.

Here is a link that might be useful: Closer up

o

That's a staminate spike, it produces pollen.

o

I'm posting again because I'm not sure of the consensus. What did you guys decide that it is. Carex or not.

o

Wierd-my last post disappeared. Here it is again.

o

Well, as I have had time, I have been checking out this sedge more, as well as one on another forum and the ones in my yard. I am as sure as a rookie can be that it is a carex. I am leaning in favor of Carex lupulina, check out the link at the bottom and see what you think. (Very cool website, I hope I have time to check it out more!)

In the meantime, I also got some pictures of the site I referred to earlier. This the the side that is still Reed Canary Grass:

Here is the side that has been restored:

BTW, this was accomplished by a woman in her seventies, with a few volunteers. Though a bit younger, I can never seem to find that much energy! I do hope to get involved in maintaining the area.

Here is a link that might be useful: Carex lupulina page from utc.usu.edu site

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here