Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
merseygal

What kind of yucca is this please?

merseygal
10 years ago

Hi
I've had this yucca for a number of years & was told by a gardener if I wanted it to stop growing talker & spread out more to cut the top growing tips?
After 3 house moves it had gone a bit spindly looking & not as full ad it used to be, so I cut the tips as advised, then was told in a garden centre that I shouldn't have done that!!
As I don't know what kind of yucca it is I'm struggling to find out want to do, will it grow back as I don't think I did the job properly or do I need to cut it down & hope that I can get one of the stems to re root?
Help would be very much appreciated as I've had it a long time & I'm so sorry I followed the advice I was given :-(

Comments (19)

• costaricafinca
    10 years ago

Looks more like a Dracaena than a Yucca.
    Either species would look better if you prune both stems well below the existing leaves and then plant the cut-off pieces into the soil.

• merseygal
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the reply
    Have I done the wrong thing by cutting the growing tips, will they still grow? Once I've cut them back do I throw the old trunk away then, also would I need smaller pots & put each one in a separate pot, sorry to ask a lot but never done anything like this before, this plant is the only one I've kept alive & now I think I've stopped it growing!

• saltcedar
    10 years ago

Y. guatemalensis.
    "1) If the leaf edges are slightly serrated (you won't be able to see this, probably: you have to run a finger along the side of the leaf), it's a Yucca."

Careful they can be sharp enough to cut you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Y. guatemalensis

• merseygal
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I haven't noticed serrated edges on the leaves, they do grow to a point & they are sharp, I trimmed some of the tips cos they went brown, it hadn't been repotted in years, a friend did it last time & I'm not green fingered so didn't know to change the soil!!
    Should I take the advice above & cut from below the leaves, they aren't in great shape to be honest, the tips are still brown & I only water once a week & sometimes I forget that, I feed thought march to sept as well so not sure what's wrong with it. It never seemed to settle in the last place we lived & I've been trying to help it recover but have no idea what to do!!

• saltcedar
    10 years ago

Duplicate!

This post was edited by saltcedar on Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 11:41

• saltcedar
    10 years ago

I'm gonna give you the same advice I give everyone else in your situation. No-one ever listens so I won't be offended if you ignore! it.;-) Place it on a shaded porch or terrace for the Summer. You'll likely be amazed at the recovery. This is a plant that's happy in full sun in it's native climate. No wonder then it looks sad indoors with so little light. Forgetting to water is good for Yucca in general though this one is from a wetter climate than most. Rainfall should suffice til you bring it in for the Winter.

• merseygal
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hiya
    No I will take your advice, I've just checked it & it has got fine serrated edges :-) it is in full sun in the kitchen & gets lots of light but it's only been there 6 months, in our previous place, which was a flat it was in a horrible dull room & I knew it hated it but I couldn't do anything about it! My garden gets full sun most of the day will it be ok there, I don't have a shaded porch bit I can put it outside in the back garden, will it be ok in full sun, from 11am?
    Will those tips grow back, do I just leave the others that have gone brown at the tips? I'm in the uk & were getting quite a bit if rain right now, will that matter?
    Thanks for your advice

• saltcedar
    10 years ago

As long as the pot drains well (no saucer below) the rainfall shouldn't hurt it. Do keep it in the shade for at least a few weeks. It would likely sunburn until it's had time to acclimate to higher light levels.

• costaricafinca
    10 years ago

Here both Dracaena and Y guatemalensis grow as saltcedar mentions, in full sun and usually with no additional watering required.The leaves on a healthy YG are 'not droopy' but VERY stiff and sharp.
    Personally, I would cut down both stems below the existing leaves. Place it outdoors. and very quickly multiple new 'shoots' will appear on the stalk.

• saltcedar
    10 years ago

While that is good advice for the tropics and even here in Texas
    I'm concerned the cold wet climate of the UK might kill it. We in warmer climes must make allowances for those in less than ideal conditions.

• merseygal
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi
    Thanks for the advice, it is chilly & wet here at the minute, we have had some sun but not a lot, I have an area that only gets a little sun early on, by the shed where I can put it for now until it gets used to outside then move it to the paved area, it's right by the corkscrew willow so I wouldn't want to leave it there all summer, hopefully it will pick up. I've only ever put it outside on a sunny day as I thought our cold weather would kill it.
    I will post how its going in a few weeks time. Do I still feed it with fertilizer?
    Thanks again for the replies, very much appreciated! I don't want to cut it up unless absolutely necessary!

• saltcedar
    10 years ago

It'll tolerate -2C, but that assumes the roots are in the soil. Potted plants freeze much more quickly. Feed it when you see new growth. Actually that goes for most plants. Feeding a dormant plant can be harmful.

This post was edited by saltcedar on Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 14:55

• costaricafinca
    10 years ago

Sorry, I meant outside for the summer season.

• merseygal
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, going to put it outside & hope for the best :-)

• merseygal
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi
    I've also got this plant, is this the same kind if yucca, it's growing fine at the minute, getting new shoots but the soil is rock hard & water sits on top for a few seconds before draining through, also the trunk is a bit wobbly - do I need to repot it & if so what soil is best, I have gravel to put in the bottom which is what was put in when the larger yucca was repotted by a friend but don't know what soil he used. I'd like to get it right this time & then do I put this one outside for the summer (if you call call UK weather summer that is)!!
    The other yucca is now outside & I'm hoping for the best :-)
    Thanks again for all the help

• costaricafinca
    10 years ago

Looks like the same plant... but in better condition.
    And, yes, it does need a larger pot.
    They are very hardy plants, so don't get stressed about them...

• merseygal
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The bigger yucca has been outside for over a week now & it's looking worse, the leaves have curled over & some have got what looks like small scratch marks on them, I don't think it's holding up very well, I'll give it till the end of summer & then I think I might have to cut down both stems. If I have to do this, can I do it when I bring them back indoors or do I have to wait till a certain time, like next spring, not sure it will last that long, we've had really windy days here so far!!!

• saltcedar
    10 years ago

Yeah, those leaves are too thin (shade grown) to tolerate much buffetingby wind. If you can't shelter it best bring it back indoors. I forget such things simply because there's barely a breath of air here all Summer. Makes our toasty days (37to45c) all the more lovely!

• merseygal
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It is quite sheltered by the fence but we've had really windy weather, would you cut it down into 2 trunks & repot them, I think I should have cut it's roots back reading other posts on here but I didn't know so I probably have compounded the problem, ill know what do to with my new yucca this time!! It's nearly 12 years old so it's done well to survive in the hands if a novice!! Lucky you having such lovely weather, the weather here has battered my pansies & nearly finished off my japanese acers ;-(
    Ill have to be careful what I choose to grow next time & not pick what I like the look of, we get coastal winds here which doesn't help!!
    Thanks for all your advice, it was worth a try

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living