Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lupinus perennis or Lupinus polyphyllus?

Posted by Lealam 4 - ME (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 25, 14 at 8:49

I've had some lupines on my property for about 15 years, and I think I've narrowed down the species to either Lupinus perennis or Lupinus polyphyllus. The trouble is, I'm not really sure what to look for to tell them apart! I've heard that Lupinus perennis is a species native to Maine, where I live, but that Lupinus polyphyllus is invasive. I'm not sure if anyone could provide an ID with the picture I have, but knowing the key differences between the two would be really helpful. Also, if this lupine does prove to be an invasive species, what should I do with it?

Additionally- the tallest point of the plant is about 5ft. The largest leaves are slightly bigger than my hand.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lupinus perennis or Lupinus polyphyllus?

the link below states a difference as:
Lupinus perennis "Leaves are divided into 7 to 11 leaflets"
and
"A similar species in Minnesota is Large-leaved Lupine (Lupinus polyphyllus), a non-native introduced by gardeners which has become invasive especially along the north shore of Lake Superior. It is overall a larger plant with taller spikes and 9 to 17 leaflets."

eta:
it is my understanding that there can easily be cross-breeding as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: minn. wildflowers - wild lupine

This post was edited by bubbleoffplumb on Wed, Jun 25, 14 at 11:54

o

Lupinus perennis. I have several on my property and the photo of your plant is a carbon copy of my plants.

o

Awesome! That's great to know- thank you both so much for your help! I think these might be Lupinus Polyphyllus, because the stalks were well over 2 feet in height.

This post was edited by Lealam on Thu, Jun 26, 14 at 1:25

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here