Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which variety of Mint is this?

Posted by mike_jw London. UK (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 7, 14 at 9:08

The specimen is 30cms in height, and the largest leaf (excluding the stalk) is 10 x 10cms. I've been told that they are quite common in the Caribbean.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which variety of Mint is this?

whats it smell like ...

its hard for us to define fragrance with a pic ... as i dont have smell-o-vision ...

ken

o

I'm not convinced it is a mint ie Mentha sp. Is that stem square in cross section? Doesn't look like it. Compare with Plectranthus amboinicus aka Cuban Oregano. Not hardy in the UK.

o

What does it smell like? Sort of herby-like! Not exactly like a mint, but similar.

I would have said the stems were round, and covered in small hairs. Upon feeling the stem though, there is a hint of squareness about it, but the edges are not well-defined. I checked up on Plectranthus amboinicus, and it does appear to be the one.

Someone gave it to my wife recently. She has tried to grow other specimens indoors in the past but, for some reason, they haven't lasted.

o

Ditto Cuban Oregano.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here