Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cannot find this plant anywhere!

Posted by urbanpirate none (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 23, 14 at 10:23

I have tried finding this plant on a fair few fauna finders online and still cannot name it. It grew very fast and is huge, though the flowers are pretty I need to know if it needs removing.I have pictures of the flowers which are very orchid like and pink though I can only upload one picture!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cannot find this plant anywhere!

Clarkia elegans.

o

no, not that, the flowers are different but thank you

o

That is a picture of Clarkia elegans. It is also known as C unguiculata. Do some more Googling - it has been developed by seed merchants into many colours both double and single. Yours is nearer the wild species in appearance.

o

Clarkia unguiculata is the correct name. Clarkia elegans has been applied to two different species (first to C. pulchella and later to C. unguiculata), both of which were previously described under other names.

o

Thanks for the clarification nonmember. Thus the OP's plant is C unguiculata, formerly C elegans, the name I learned it under.

o

I bought seed called Godetia and had a plant like this come out and you told me it was clarkia.

Are clarkia and godetia the same thing?

o

Godetia is Clarkia amoena. The OP's plant is C unguiculata, previously known as C elegans. Same genus, different species.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here