Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Orange Skipper fav...

Posted by fizgig777 WA (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 28, 13 at 10:23

Photographed by a friend of mine in Spokane, WA... These flowers were a magnet for Orange Skippers. We're at a loss to ID the flowers/plants, though. I thought maybe wild mint or Synthyris missurica, but it doesn't quite fit either... Thought maybe someone here might have a better idea.

Thanks in advance!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Orange Skipper fav...

Agastache perhaps.

o

No picture on my computer?

Bob

o

Lobelia siphilitica?

o

Nepeta mussinii ?

o

Looks like Agastache to me...maybe 'Blue Fortune'.

o

It is Agastache foeniculum, ANISE HYSSOP.

I have maintained a Butterfly/Bee garden for some time and this is one of the major nectar plants in my garden. It is quite easy to grow from seeds and will reseed itself unless it is deadheaded yet is NOT invasive.

Bob

This post was edited by bob_71 on Sat, Jun 29, 13 at 19:11

o

Orange Skipper as a common name is not in widespread use except with the additional terms of Giant, -edged, roadside, etc.

The above-pictured Spokane-area skippers are likely Woodland Skippers, common to all environments in the PNW.

o

Thanks everyone for all the info =) Appreciate your time!!!

o

I call Agastache 'bee-sicle '.....it's stays covered with bees and other nectar feeders. Later on they turn into 'finch-sicles '!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here