Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shankins123_gw

Unknown Shrub/Small Tree

shankins123
10 years ago

I've tried to see if my Oklahoma Gardening Forum people know what this is - so far, no one seems to know. The shrub is kind of hidden under some other trees, so it's hard to tell how tall/wide it should be, but I would guess about 8ft tall, 6 ft. wide...?
I'll attach a picture of most of it, and then comment with a close-up as well. These are current pictures, as it's in bloom presently.

Hoping I can find out what it is,
Sharon

Comments (28)

• shankins123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And, its close-up...each of the white flower clusters are composed of very tiny star flowers - probably a dozen or so could fit on a pencil eraser. The bush has opposing glossy leaves and the flowers are lightly scented.

Sharon

• shankins123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bump

• saltcedar
    10 years ago

Bumping is unnecessary, we'll respond when we have an answer for you.

• saltcedar
    10 years ago

The obvious one you already got "Privet" seems incorrect though Oleacea might still be a possibility. Verbenaceae seems most likely or possibly Thymelaeaceae, Caprifoliaceae?

• Iris GW
    10 years ago

Is this a wild plant or likely planted by someone at some point?

• carol23_gw
    10 years ago

Moving it up to the top.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

A similar genus is Forestiera.

• saltcedar
    10 years ago

I researched Forestiera, as part of Oleacea, but found no matches.
    Hope Carol or Flora (or somebody) can pull a rabbit outta their hat's!

• Iris GW
    10 years ago

Could it be a Buddleja?

• shankins123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm leaning Oleacea as well. I took another look at it tonight (it's in the neighborhood where I walk). It is against a chain link fence - not quite sure if it was people-planted, or bird-planted.
    It is actually around 10 ft wide and just as tall. This particular plant has multiple trunks coming up and out in fountain-like branches.
    The tops of the leaves are dark and glossy, while the undersides of the leaves are lighter and not glossy.
    What's so interesting to me is the spacing of the bloom clusters - that's unlike any privet, ligustrum, etc., that I know of. The flowers are beginning to fade, so I'll be watching for any type of fruit.
    Thanks for helping me out here :-)

Sharon

• User
    10 years ago

Suggestion removed

This post was edited by deejaus on Fri, Jun 28, 13 at 4:47

• shankins123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Still researching (thankful for the massive databases on the internet, but wow...there's so many of them!)

Sharon

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

If a Ligustrum might have the characteristic heavy floral odor.

• carol23_gw
    10 years ago

Is it possible for you to take a close up photo of the flower and post it?
    We really want to solve this.

• carol23_gw
    10 years ago

I've asked a curator from a PA arboretum . He sent the photos out to other professionals.
    So far one thinks it is Ligustrum quihoui and another thinks L. obtusifolium.

• saltcedar
    10 years ago

If it's Ligustrum this one needs a new definition because these are spikes not panicles or racemes.

• carol23_gw
    10 years ago

Sharon, can you take a cutting and press it? Please do so before all the flowers drop. I've sent off an email to an herbarium and believe the staff will look at it and give us an identification. I'm waiting on their reply.

• RugbyHukr
    10 years ago

How about a new pic? In case the flowers have expanded or changed.

• carol23_gw
    10 years ago

According to the experts it is Ligustrum quihoui.

• shankins123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I was not online this weekend....but I will try to get another picture or two this evening AND press what samples I can get.
    I have looked at pictures of L. quihoui and of L. obtusifolium and I really don't believe it to be either. Quihoui is the closer of the two, but I think the flowering is too dense on that one.
    I'll try to post again this evening with new pictures.

Sharon

• saltcedar
    10 years ago

Glad that it's decided even if I don't agree. It's the oddest presentation of a panicle I've ever seen.

• carol23_gw
    10 years ago

The expert is a published author on Ligustrum and other plants. He replied that it's typical Lonicera quihoui. It is on the invasive list in North Carolina and a pest in parts of Texas and elsewhere.

Sharon, they do not need a specimen because they recognize the plant.
    It's not something you want to encourage to grow.

Here is a link that might be useful: link to author's work

• Iris GW
    10 years ago

Well, that's an impressive source of identification then!

• saltcedar
    10 years ago

As Grandma would say: "Marvelous". Grandma wouldn't swear. ;-)

• shankins123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'll have to peruse this work when I get home this evening. I am not a botanist, and it's been at least 30 years since I last had a botany course, so...I'm going to have to brush up on my terms to understand what he's describing.
    For my own satisfaction, I am going to get a sample and walk through his description. As I said before, the pictures I've seen of L. quihoui (as generously offered by Google, possibly erroneous, but all I have)...do not really compare to what I'm seeing.
    Nevertheless, from what I've read of many of the Ligustrum species, I do understand it's not anything to propagate and/or encourage.

Thank you all for your time and help...with my first foray onto the "Name That Plant" forum!

Sharon

• RugbyHukr
    10 years ago

Can you post 1 more picture of the flowers? To see if there has been any changes like the flower clusters expanding.

• shankins123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I took a sample last night, but was not able to go through Mr. Nesom's work - I'll have to take a picture when I get home today. Honestly, nothing has changed (except for the progressing decline of the flowers). I'm hopeful that I can get a more close-up picture this time.

Sharon

• shankins123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm not sure this will be much help - my camera doesn't do wonderful macro shots. For me, the distinguishing mark of this shrub is that the flower clusters are located within the leaf/stem axils. Even at the very end of the stem I see the beginnings of immature leaves with a single flower/floret nestled between them and the stem.

Sharon