Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
faluzure_gw

Please Identify Plant, 100% Sure It's Not Sassafras

Faluzure
9 years ago

Earlier this spring, I cleaned up my mulch bed and pulled up a bunch of weeds. However, this particular plant was very big compared to the other weeds and I left it alone. I wasn't sure if it was something I planted last year (as I planted several bulbs).

Over the course of several months, it has gotten bigger and bigger. I'm not sure if it's a weed, but "Googling" "mitten leaves", "3 lobed leaves", etc have not given me any results. The stem is not woody, at least not right now.

I have no clue what it is. They kind of look like sassafras leaves, but I don't think that's what it is. I stumbled across a plant online called "Blue Cohosh", while similar the leaf veins aren't as prominent. I don't see any flowers/berries growing from it yet.

Any help is appreciated.

This post was edited by Faluzure on Thu, Jun 5, 14 at 10:56

Comments (10)

• User
    9 years ago

Faluz,
    Are the new leaves shiny?
    Stay away from it, just in case.
    Leaves of three let them be.
    Poison Ivy.
    Watch and see if the new leaves are shiny, if not, I have no clue what it is.
    Doesn't look like a bulb to me though.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    9 years ago

Definitely not Sassafras. It looks like Bleeding Heart, Dicentra spectabilis, a wonderful plant.

If you ever come across a Sassafras, you'll know. Very distinctive!

Linda

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    9 years ago

Not poison ivy. Could be dicentra, but could also be a columbine?

Here is a link that might be useful: columbine foliage

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    9 years ago

It isn't Poison Ivy. Bleeding Heart does not come from a bulb; it is rooted.

Check out the third picture, second row. It shows the foliage clearly.

Linda

Here is a link that might be useful: Dicentra spectabilis images

• Faluzure
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@butterfly4u: No, not shiny. They are soft to the touch, like velvet but not hairy at all. I don't think it's poison ivy, as I'm extremely allergic to it. I crushed a couple leaves this morning because someone said it would smell like root bear if it were sassafras.

@whitelacey: You know what... I think you're right. I bought a "variety pack" of bulbs I planted last spring. The reason I think this is one of those bulbs is because it's in a spot where I believe I planted them. I know that this isn't a bulb, but the package I got was in the "bulb" section of the store. So hence I'm just generically calling them that. I probably bought some dormant roots. Googling "Bleeding Heart" shows several varieties and there is one that has the same leaf shape!

http://hortchat.com/info/bleeding-heart/comment-page-1

I read that they bloom late spring, early summer and can possibly die in summer heat. I don't see any kind of flowers. I hope it's not too late.

Thank you Linda.

This post was edited by Faluzure on Thu, Jun 5, 14 at 11:19

• Faluzure
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah.. that's definitely it. Even the stems are the same color.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:247501}}

• weedwoman
    9 years ago

Another vote for Bleeding Heart, Dicentra spectabilis. They bloom in spring and about August in NJ they start to die back. It's normal. They're great garden plants, although they reseed pretty prolifically.

WW

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    9 years ago

My Bleeding Heart is blooming now and I'm Ohio. Everything this year has been a little, (or a lot) late due to the horrid winter and the late spring. Also, any plant will be slower to grow and later to bloom the first year after planted while they are getting their 'legs' under them.

I have several BH and I plant them by my hostas. They are up and blooming while my hosta are still waking up. After they have died back (about July here) the hostas have grown and covered up the bare spot. Just make sure not to dig in the BH spot. It is easy to forget there is something there when it is dormant.

Rob,

Columbine foliage is more rounded.

Here's a link to sassafras foliage. It is very distinct: an entire leaf, a right-hand mitten, a left-hand mitten and a double mitten.

Linda

Here is a link that might be useful: Sassafras foliage

This post was edited by whitelacey on Fri, Jun 6, 14 at 13:38

• Faluzure
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@whitelacey: Thanks Linda. Your input is appreciated. I investigated my BH much more closely yesterday and am actually relieved it's not a weed. I was so close to ripping it up yesterday before I posted here.

Much thanks everyone!

• weedwoman
    9 years ago

Good idea to plant bleeding heart and hostas near each other, except the deer gobble up my hostas but never seem to bother the bleeding hearts. Another point in their favor.

WW

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!