Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tryng to determine if this is a poisonous bush

Posted by AiliDeSpain 6a - Utah (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 27, 14 at 11:09

This Bush has red berries with a depression in the bottom of the berries. Trying to determine if the berries are poisonous since my kids are attracted to the plant.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tryng to determine if this is a poisonous bush

Picture of whole plant.

o

cant focus on a single leaf...nor the berry ...

WAG... honeysuckle... and not the good honeysuckle ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

What? Are you saying you need a better pic to identify?

o

One of the bush honeysuckles, as Ken guessed. The pictures are not in focus so it's hard to say which one but L fragrantissima has those double berries. Did you notice a good scent in the very early spring from it?

o

Take leaves and berries to a local nursery and ask them.

o

Bush honeysuckle of some sort. Some are poisonous, some aren't... I know foragers generally say you shouldn't take chances with them unless you really know what you are doing.

o

All berries are poisonous to someone......

I agree with CaraRose and her statement....

" I know foragers generally say you shouldn't take chances with them unless you really know what you are doing."

o

Definitely an invasive alien honeysuckle that should be removed and destroyed. But you will keep finding seedlings all over your (and your neighbors') gardens, around the bases of trees, and everywhere for several years at least as the (nutrition-poor) berries the birds have eaten & pooped out will continue to sprout for years. (Voice of experience. Finally got MY neighbor to cut his bushes down 3 years ago & I am still pulling the %#$@ things...)

Here is a link that might be useful: Why they should be removed

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here