Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wncang

is this a weed?

wncang
9 years ago

Plant is about 6 feet tall and growing. Thanks for your help.

Comments (14)

• wncang
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's a photo of the leaves.

• IanW Zone 5 Ont. Can.
    9 years ago

Might be
    Impatiens balsamina

• wncang
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Would it be a perennial in the North Carolina mountains? Checking Wikipedia, the plant is an annual native to Asia. We purchased the home from a gardener, and I'm lost.
    Thanks very much for your help.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

As a general aside, Is it possible for your realtor to contact the former owner, or for you to, and have he/she identify plants for you? Usually gardeners are happy to help preserve some of their former gardens. A few complements about the beauty, etc, and you can gain some invaluable help.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

We purchased the home from a gardener, and I'm lost.

==>>> naw ... you are just frustrated in trying learn a lifetime of knowledge in one season ... forget about that..

the real key for you.. is to make sure.. you Id stuff.. before it goes to seed ... so you can remove those that are not worthy ... and keep those that are ..

in other words ... you are ahead of the curve ... [hint 1]

i didnt have the WWW when i started ... i just let things grow.. until they flowered.. and decided what flowers i didnt like.. and got rid of those... [hint 2]

MANY..MANY weeds ... favor a bazillion little flowers.. as compared to big showy ones ... in there quest to dominate the universe thru seeding ... [hint 3]

many of our favored CULTIVARS ... are version of the same... but the flowers are much bigger.. making them much more valuable .... [hint 4]

and.. if its 6 feet tall in the 'fron't of a bed.. why would an experienced gardener.. place it there.. where it would block the view behind.. that usually IDs a weed also .. not to mention.. the fact that inside 30 or 6 days.. it grew 6 feet... lol ... [hint 5]

and the final clue/idea... #6 ... JUST GET RID OF ANYTHING THAT DOESNT PLEASE YOU ... crikey.. this isnt a museum ... be done with it .. if it displeases you ..

e.g. there is a local biologist.. who grows a poison plant reference garden ... if i should happen to be the next garden owner ... i wouldnt keep it ... but i am sure many here would... all the power to them.. but thats not where i would go with it ...

garden are not static ... so dont think you have to keep everything ...

it must be a rather fun.. magical mystery tour for a novice gardener.... try to enjoy it ... dont fret over it ... enjoy your time without the phone .. the technology ... and playing in the dirt ... we do ...

ken

• wncang
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I will consider contacting the former homeowner. She is 85 years old. I remind myself she had a lifetime of experience and gardening was her passion. Ken, you gave me some excellent advice. The plant does not fit in front of the bed. There are some beautiful lilies hiding behind it. And yes, I have a wealth of information at my disposal. Thanks.

• calliope
    9 years ago

Well written, Ken. Our extension agent once mentioned 'garden philosophy' and I thought that was keeper. Anyone who gardens should have one. It's your filter for where your gardens head, what you keep, how you steward your land.

• malusmaven
    9 years ago

Jerusalem artichoke?

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Wrong leaves for JA.

• wncang
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No, the leaves aren't righr for Jerusalem artichoke. I cut the plant down yesterday. It was in the front of the island, towering over and blocking the view of the lilies behind it. I'm ok with my decision, although I still don't know what it is
    Thanks for your help.

• southerngardening24
    9 years ago

I think it might be impatiens balsamina. I posted a pic of what looks like the same plant on this forum a few days ago. Did it have flowers?

• wncang
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It was too tall for Impatiens balsamina. There were no flowers or buds.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

cutting down.. wont stop most of the weeds ...

meet some of us in the perennial forum .... if you want to continue learning ...

thx for the kind words.. even a blind nut finds a squirrel.. once in a while.. lol ...

just dont feel guilty about killing anything .... limited to the garden lets say... lol ...

ken

• wncang
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ken, I found your post so helpful I printed it and taped to the fridge.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner