Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Five leaves, tendrils growing off stem, red vine

Posted by persephone 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 30, 08 at 11:41

We just moved to a property and I am unsure of a lot of the plants here. Google images seems to have a lot of vines with this description but I didn't find an exact match.

Is it a weed that needs to go?

Thanks!

Five leaves, tendrils, red vine

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Five leaves, tendrils growing off stem, red vine

Virginia Creeper, Parthenocissus quinquefolia, I believe.

Here is a link that might be useful: images

o

Parthenocissus quinquefolia, AKA virginia Creeper?

If you can confine it, it's a nice vine for covering fences and such (nice fall colour, berries for the birds), but it's quite likely to take over and go everywhere if you let it.

BP

o

Ok. Thank you so much for the identification! As I sit here with poision ivy from my hedge out front and recovering from the shot I had to get to control it..let me ask.

Am I going to get anything from virgina creeper? When I google it I get conflicting results.

o

• Posted by casia z4-Caledon (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 30, 08 at 13:01

Not aware of any skin reactions to virginia creeper.

o

None that I'm aware of - I pick it right out of the ground in my yard.

Sorry to hear about the poison ivy - I've had it 3 times already this year! We have it growing up everywhere since we moved into our 85 year old house that sat vacant for 2 years without any lawn care, so it's a constant battle.

Just remeber - leaves of 3, let it be!! Good luck!

Diana

o

We have have the variety P. quinquefolia 'Henryana' all up the back of our house (4 storeys) and we've never suffered any ill effects even when giving it its annual haircut by hanging out of the windows by our toes! In fact the only problem it's caused is when it grew into the down pipe and caused a flood in a thunderstorm. Does anyone know if it needs a pollinator? It flowers but never sets berries. I have always assumed that was because the summer is not hot enough but maybe I'm wrong.

o

Flora, henryana is a separate species, from Asia, I believe. It's quite ornamental.

Here is a link that might be useful: Parthenocissus henryana

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 30, 08 at 16:20

>Am I going to get anything from virgina creeper?<

Commonly grown in quantity by large nurseries and sold as an ornamental. Related to the grape plant.

o

Carol - thanks for that information. It was sold named as I mentioned above but now I've checked and see the correct name. I also see it referred to as Chinese Virginia creeper, which is a name I've never heard before. So there you go - it's been climbing up my house for nearly 20 years and I've just found out it's proper name! Thanks again. Flora.
ps the guy next door still insists on calling it 'ivy' whenever he comes round to say it's encroaching on his house.

Here is a link that might be useful: Parthenocissus henryana.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here