Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any suggestions welcome!

Posted by mike_jw London. UK (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 22, 14 at 11:46

A woman gave me a cutting from a plant that she found discarded in the street. She has had it for some time, but is curious to know what it is. It is currently growing outdoors in a tub.

Photos are below, and information is as follows after I questioned her about it.

Current height about 5 foot.
Hardy, deciduous, with leaves that turn bright red in Autumn.
Has tiny, insignificant, white flowers, but no subsequent berries.
Forms bushy, but not dense growth, you can 'look' through the shrub.
The stems grow out at all angles and, as the last two photos show, have elongated 'growths' at the base.

Click on the image to see a larger view.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any suggestions welcome!

Euonymous sp. perhaps E alatus. Don't be concerned if anyone on GW tells you it's invasive - it is in the US but not here.

o

It certainly appears to be Euonymous Elatus, except that the person told me that the flowers didn't give way to berries. It may be that she just didn't notice them. But the elongated 'growths' are described as "corky wings", which is spot on.

o

If it's anything like the way the plant performs here in the PNW (where it also NOT invasive), the flowers seldom give way to berries simply because our summers are not hot enough to encourage fruit development and ripening.

And that is also the reason why a good number of other plants that are very invasive in many other, hot summer parts of the country are NOT here in the cool summer regions of the PNW.

o

I agree totally gardengal48. I think we've been over this one with Ailanthus too. We just don't get the summer heat to ripen the fruit.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here