Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this plant with a large taproot?

Posted by jakaldd Florida (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 19, 14 at 11:59

I moved into this property that had a neglected garden and yard, so I've been trying to clean it up and get it ready for vegetables and flowers. Every time I go outside to clean out the weeds, I always find a bunch of these. Along the fence I picked out at least 20 of these plants.

Some of the roots are only 2 inches but most are as big as the one pictured. The plant itself has been 6 inches tall to 4 feet with small pink flowers on the tall ones. They grow wildly like weeds. The woman who lived here before used to have a garden...Maybe it's possible this isn't a weed but a vegetable that got out of control when she was unable to care for the yard anymore.

I've been looking all over the internet for the past three days trying to find out what these might be and I've found nothing. I would bring these to a local DNR but the closest one is at least 30 minutes away.

Anyone recognize these?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this plant with a large taproot?

Here is a better picture of the leaves. The stalk is hollow like a thick straw.

o

Look at pics of Mirabilis jalapa to see if the flowers are a match. Can't see any one leaf clearly in these pics. The reddish stem and giant tuber match though.

o

Ditto, Mirabilis.

o

Yes, I just checked and it is Mirabilis jalapa for sure. Thanks for the ID.

o

late summer bloomer ...

extremely fragrant ... opens at.. wait for it.. 4 o'clock.. so plant it where you might sit in the evening ...

hummingbird attractor ..

annual for me in MI ... perennial as you get further south ...

i hope you saved it ...

ken

o

I love them, I think you should keep it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here