Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Second opinion on this plant/weed?

Posted by seagreen_turtle Z5 MI (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 16, 12 at 12:08

Hello,
I hope it's permissible to cross post from what I posted in the "weeds" forum a little while ago. I wondered if I could get a second opinion and possibly a specific species of the plant I've picture below. I have googled a lot to find a match for the suggestion that this is a thistle (it probably is but what kind)?

Thanks in advance and if I cannot cross post I will delete this entry.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/weeds/msg0620354115967.html?6

Here is a link that might be useful: What is this plant/weed?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Second opinion on this plant/weed?

It looks like safflower, Carthamus tinctorius.

Here is a link that might be useful: Carthamus tinctorius

o

Yes you can cross post. What you can't do is "delete". ;)

And I don't know what it is but it sure looks wicked.

o

You are absolutely right Carol23. Thanks! I did buy one bag of safflower over the winter for my feeder. The birds were bummed and picked at it unenthusiastically, while looking at me balefully, so I never got it again. Now I will let it flower after all. It's taking it's own sweet time though.

Thanks esh_ga for letting me know about the cross posting. I'm glad it's ok.

o

typo fix for post directly above. it's should be its: It's taking its own sweet time though.

o

It's taking its' own sweet time though.

o

• Posted by carrieb 7 Philadelphia (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 17, 12 at 16:27

As a matter of fact: "It's taking its own sweet time though."

o

carrieb: Is what you wrote the same as what I wrote at 10:27 (Sun June 7)? I was correcting my own typo. I don't think I'd correct someone else's grammar in these forums but I felt like I could say, "Oops, I made a typo." If your version and mine from 10:27 are different please let me know, in which case I will schedule that long overdue eye exam ;-) because I cannot see a difference. Thanks.

o

OP, it seems to me that Carrieb was reaffirming your correction to Purpleinopp.

o

Jeanne, seagreen - yes. I wouldn't normally correct someone else's grammar (unless I was asked to edit) but I thought that your grammar was being incorrectly corrected by someone else... My apologies for any lack of civility & courtesy on my part. My mom was an English teacher...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here