Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this a hydrangea, a weed or something else?

Posted by shannonigans78 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 4, 14 at 12:12

Hi all - Long time listener, first time caller. ;-)

I've recently started my gardening journey and am trying to ID plants our home's previous owner planted in the process. This one I pulled up last year, thinking it was a weed, but I'm a bit more patient this year - thinking/hoping it might be a hydrangea? Any thoughts? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this a hydrangea, a weed or something else?

looks like mint. does it smell like mint? def not hydrangea.

o

doesn't smell like mint...it's about three feet tall at the moment, which is tough to tell from such a tight photo.

o

Could be a Campanula. Appears to have terminal flower buds. Can you post again when it blooms?

o

Absolutely will. Thanks for your help in the sleuthing process :-)

o

looks like my adenophera

o

Could be - that's very similar to some Campanulas.

o

I was going to guess adenophora as well.
Gary

o

either would make sense as a design choice by the former owners, since it's in a bed with big purple and white flowering hostas. I will report back when it flowers.

o

I'll throw in Hyssop (agastache). Here's mine for comparison. I planted it from seed but didn't like it because I was expecting one if the fancier Agastache's. It grew on me eventually. Self seeds and moves itself around quite easily. And mine has a very square stem.

o

Ding ding ding! We have a winner! The votes for campanulas win! Thanks everyone. I'm glad I didn't pull it this year.

o

I meant to say adenophora. LOL! Flowers on the brain.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here