Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jtousley_gw

Stinging plant in my garden

jtousley
9 years ago

While pulling weeds this morning I brushed a plant that has raised blisters on my forearm and leg! It does not look to me like 'stinging nettle'. The leaves are too thin and the whole plant is just too slender for whar I think is stinging nettle. But boy does it sting. I have half-inch blisters now on my arm and even with baking soda and a cortizone cream it still stings. Now how can I be sure I get rid of this VERY nasty plant?

Comments (7)

• Olychick
    9 years ago

Poison sumac, maybe?

• Iris GW
    9 years ago

It's possible there was a caterpillar on it with stinging hairs?

Now how can I be sure I get rid of this VERY nasty plant?

As for getting rid of the plant, how about putting on heavy gloves and pulling it?

• Vicissitudezz
    9 years ago

Saddleback caterpillar was my first thought. Those things HURT!

• lycopus
    9 years ago

It looks like a Mimosa to me. Mimosa nuttallii is the only one that would be found in your zone. Has it ever flowered?

• jtousley
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The plant is so spindly that I would probably have noticed an 'asp' - as those nasty hairy caterpillars are called locally. And it's too late now to go check. Does not quite look like a mimosa - the leaves are not as fine - too little still to have flowers - hoping to have it OUT of the garden before it does flower! I'm going to research the sumac option. THANKS to you all!

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Is there any chance of a better picture? It's really hard to make out any details of leaves, etc. However, they do look like folded mimosa type leaves.

• Iris GW
    9 years ago

I really don't think it is the poison sumac ... that usually lives in wetlands.