Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michaeldtierney

Backyard is being taken over Help

MichaelDTierney
9 years ago

I have this plant/vine taking over my backyard. this thing keeps sprouting up all over and i have no idea what it is or how to get rid of it. Please help.

Comments (11)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

trumpet vine ...

snip and drip ... fill the container at the link with 100% round up ... snip it... one drip ...

at will.. for as many months as it takes to kill whatever is underground ... return unused product to properly labels container...

if you refuse to use RU or generic... pound a for sale sign in the lawn and move ...

this is not a spray thing ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: very expensive.. oh ya ...

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Look up "The tongs of Death" or "the tongs of Doom" ... it's a way to apply herbicides to just the unwanted plants.

• weedlady
    9 years ago

Not to discourage you, but to encourage diligence: when we moved to our present house 6 years ago, one of the first thing s I did was cut down 2 established trumpet vines that had crawled up & onto & into the roof of the shed and was lifting the shingles. VERY carefully painted the cut stumps with herbicide (see suggestions above) and then kept pulling off -- NOT cutting, it makes a difference-- every sucker that appeared on the stumps. Then shoots began appearing in the flowerbed a few feet away. Out they came as soon as I spotted the distinctive leaf, cut off below ground.
    THEN shoots began appearing sporadically in the lawn, as far away as 6-8 feet! Again, cut these below ground with a long knife. Even now, 6 years later, I occasionally find one has snuck up in the (now more densely growing) perennial bed near the shed.
    The thing to bear in mind is to remove every sprout as soon as it appears and eventually the root must starve & die. Every little sprout feeds the huge root system, but with persistence you can control (but probably not eliminate!)this plant.

Good luck!

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

If you look in the center of the photo along the back fence, it looks like the trumpet vine might be growing there. (I see some orange, and trumpet vines have gorgeous orange tubular flowers.) You are getting root sprouts, and so you will need to remove the original vine as well as the sprouts.

• Desirai
    9 years ago

I like trumpet vines :( Why does everyone hate them so much?

• duluthinbloomz4
    9 years ago

Hate them? Largely for the very example in the OP's picture.

My neighbor in Maryland had one - was beautiful on his trellis, but in my window wells, under and lifting my siding, sprouting everywhere in my lawn not so much.

I escaped that ongoing terror by moving to Minnesota.

• weedlady
    9 years ago

To Deserai: in the right habitat (in a woodland, say), they are fine. But they are such rampant, aggressive growers they quickly can get out of hand in a yard/garden. The one I had was, as I mentioned in my post above, lifting the shingles of my shed. Also, all of that vegetation growing hard up against the wood increased the odds of the shed wall rotting before its time. Furthermore, as experienced by the OP and myself, sprouts will pop up in the lawn and flower beds and anywhere else its little heart desires. To top it off, those lovely, hummingbird-attracting flowers all are followed by seed pods just FULL of hundreds more potential vines.

• Iris GW
    9 years ago

Regular mowing will take care of them in the lawn ....

• amna
    9 years ago

I so feel your pain! I am curre battling the same plant together with Virginia creeper:-(. Feels like such a losing battle.

• duluthinbloomz4
    9 years ago

I've been lucky with the persistent crop up of Virginia creeper I get in a contained by cement yew hedge. It pulls easily with a lot of attached root. Invariably returns so it's the annual pulling of quite small shoots. VC never raises my ire as did the trumpet vine.

• lycopus
    9 years ago

A broadleaf herbicide could also be used on the lawn areas without damaging the grass. Not sure how it would affect the parent plant though.

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals