Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Another plant/Weed question

Posted by Miss.Fernandez none (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 20, 14 at 12:45

I have these growing out of the side of the garage. I dont remember them from last year. Is this a weed? Should I leave it where it is? I d need something to cover the area back there. It looks like it will grow tall. They're about 2 feet tall now. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Another plant/Weed question

Phytolacca
poke weed

eta: welcome in the wildlife garden - the birds /insects love them. large and dramatic plant.
I wouldn't recommend in a smaller garden where they will most likely overwhelm other plants
also worth noting - the berries are poisonous. not good for curious little ones.

This post was edited by bubbleoffplumb on Fri, Jun 20, 14 at 12:51

o

Thanks Bubble!!! LOL. Is this something that grows tall? Should I just pull it out?

I'm about to post another ID question again. Hoping you can help me again. LOL

o

i think they can grow to about 8 feet or so.
pulling it out depends what type of garden you have.
pros:
if you garden for the birds and wildlife, this is not a bad plant to have. it's native.
if nothing else is growing where it is, you could leave it.
the cons:
poisonous
getting rid of them (when mature) is not an easy task, but it is do-able. not as easy as pulling them up.- requires getting the entire taproot.
they can be very assertive plants.
imho
I have these around my wildlife garden - but they are mostly on the outer edges. if any grow where I have some more desirable plants, i pull them. but they are welcome where the japanese knotweed and garlic mustard ( invasive plants where i live) would otherwise take over.

hope this helps

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here