Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
miss_fernandez

Is this a berry tree/fruit tree?

Miss.Fernandez
9 years ago

So, I have this small tall tree that I cut down to the ground level last year. It looked awkward next to the daisies so my dad cut it down. It was more like 1 long strong stem than a small tree. it had like 2 branches coming out the side and the leaves were few and in between. Now that it's cut, the little stump is sending little branches out. They look like vines because there is no tree to support it. and the Daisy clump is taking over. I was thinking it looks like a berry tree. I've seen similar leaves on wild berrry trees in the park. I live in North Jersey (Essex County). Any specifics?

Comments (9)

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

The plant at the bottom looks like a Mulberry seedling.

• Miss.Fernandez
    Original Author
    9 years ago

yeah. That's the bottom plant. The top is my Daisy. Did I kill it by chopping off the trunk?

• Miss.Fernandez
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is How it looked like last year around Sept 2013. It was about 5 feet tall and no berries or flowers ever came out of it. I have since cut down the hedge in the front

• weedwoman
    9 years ago

Mulberries are pretty hard to kill. It will probably be back.

WW

• CaraRose
    9 years ago

It'll continue to come back. We've got one growing through a fence I cut to the ground multiple times a wear.

• Miss.Fernandez
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Guys. Now my other question is:

How do I keep it upright since I chopped off the main trunk? Will the branches now become the trunk? I havent ventured to look where the leaves are coming from. LOL.

Should I post inthe Berry forum? Is there a berry forum? LOL

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

find another... somewhere in the yard ... as when a bird plants one.. there are usually many more ...

and then kill this one ...

its a very dirty tree.. and you do NOT want it where it is ... my kids.. with their purple stained feet.. ruined a couple door mats ... not to mention.. it has the potential to be a huge tree ... and with deep red berries.. will come.. purple bird poop [nothing like stained siding] ... and all the cement work will be stained purple ... what a nightmare... [yes.. i suppose they might be white.. and not as staining.. but they will still make a fermenting nauseating mess in august or so when it gets large ]

there is nothing good to say about this tree ..... especially based on your vast front yard ...

my tree.. on my 5 acres.. is at least 40 feet tall.. and 30 wide ... you simply dont have room for it ...

ken

• Miss.Fernandez
    Original Author
    9 years ago

How Do I kill the tree? Should I just pull it from the roots? The tree doesnt sound like it's something i want to have. My garden is barely 15'x6'!!! If I want mulberries, I can walk down to the park and pick those! LOL

Thanks for the perspective Ken!

• saltcedar
    9 years ago

You must dig out the root, any attempt to pull or chop will just result in it growing back again.