Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grithix

What am I?

Grithix
10 years ago

Hi,

I recently purchased this plant at a huge sale for $1. It's about two feet tall right now. When I bought it, it had two white flowers, both about three inches in diameter. The plant didn't come with identification, so I don't know how to take care of it. Any help identifying will be greatly appreciated!

Comments (16)

• florauk
    10 years ago

Looks like Catharanthus roseus, Madagascar Periwinkle, aka 'Vinca' although it is not a true Vinca.

This post was edited by florauk on Wed, Jun 26, 13 at 15:34

• Grithix
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the response. I've been looking up info on madagascar periwinkle but can't find out why the leaves would be turning red. Any ideas? I bought this plant with some leaves turning red already.
    Thanks!

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Somewhat familiar with this plant, but didn't recognize this one, it looks, not good. Do you have somewhere in the ground for it? Looks like being in that pot is killing it, maybe wrong PH, no more room for roots to grow, no fertillity, may have gotten much too dry. Not sure why it looks like that but when a potted plant looks that bad, I put it in the ground if at all possible. Almost always helps a lot. The black pot isn't doing it any favors either, very hot. If it needs to remain in the pot, it might help to put it where something shades the pot but the plant remains in the sun.

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

Sorry, I don't know which plant this is, but I'm pretty sure it isn't Catharanthus roseus. I don't believe that has serrated leaves (I think they are entire) & the blooms never grow to 3 inches across.

• carol23_gw
    10 years ago

It reminds me of something in Euphorbiaceae. Maybe it has been overwatered? If you remove a leaf do you notice white sap?

Can you describe the flower shape ?

Here is a link that might be useful: flower shapes

• Grithix
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The flowers seem to be coming in groups of two - when I bought it there were two white flowers near each other and now there are two buds near each other. I think the flowers each had five flat petals around a center. I noticed that there was also a thin cone coming out the back that sort of looked like a stem but wasn't actually the stem - I looked at the link of flowers, and I think this plant is spurred. Wish I could describe it better. If the ID isn't confirmed by the time the buds open, I'll take a new picture.

The stems of the plant are quite thick - some about an inch in diameter. I'm not thinking it's a Madagascar Periwinkle, mostly because the place I purchased the plant doesn't have it listed as for sale this year.

Thanks all for your help.

This post was edited by Grithix on Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 16:33

• Grithix
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Also, no white sap when I pull off a leaf.

• carol23_gw
    10 years ago

Is there any way we can look on line at their list of plants or could you possibly paste it here without their name ? That would really help unless there are thousands.

10 years ago

Looking again, just noticed what looks like Impatiens seed pods beginning to form - top of pic. Could this be I. walleriana with downy mildew?

• saltcedar
    10 years ago

Impatiens hawkeri, New Guinea Impatiens I believe.

• Grithix
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sure. I bought it at the Cabrillo College Horticulture sale. They have a few lists of plants attached to this website. Thanks all for your help. Here's a close up of the buds and leaves.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cabrillo Horticulture Sale

• carol23_gw
    10 years ago

I guess they left if off the list because the only species I see listed is Impatiens omeiana and it's not that one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Impatiens omeiana

• User
    10 years ago

It looks a lot like Impatiens sodenii.

• florauk
    10 years ago

Yes - revision on seeing the close up - definitely Impatiens. I rarely see Catharanthus here so maybe not as familiar with it as many of you. Didn't look closely enough.

10 years ago

...so does it have a pathogen, or has it just been in the container for too long?

I had no idea there were so many other Impatiens. Why are they hiding them - especially now with the downy mildew issue on I. walleriana?

• Grithix
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all for your help. I'm feeling confident that it's impatiens, probably sodenii from the pictures I've looked at. I also saw on a website that some sodenii leaves turn a reddish color in full sun. I'm going to try moving it into a shadier spot and maybe transplant the container (I have a deck garden, so no in-ground planting) and see if that helps. I really appreciate everyone's ID info!

Here is a link that might be useful: Impatiens leaves turning red