Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What am I?

Posted by Grithix none (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 26, 13 at 13:45

Hi,

I recently purchased this plant at a huge sale for $1. It's about two feet tall right now. When I bought it, it had two white flowers, both about three inches in diameter. The plant didn't come with identification, so I don't know how to take care of it. Any help identifying will be greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What am I?

Looks like Catharanthus roseus, Madagascar Periwinkle, aka 'Vinca' although it is not a true Vinca.

This post was edited by florauk on Wed, Jun 26, 13 at 15:34

o

Thanks for the response. I've been looking up info on madagascar periwinkle but can't find out why the leaves would be turning red. Any ideas? I bought this plant with some leaves turning red already.
Thanks!

o

Somewhat familiar with this plant, but didn't recognize this one, it looks, not good. Do you have somewhere in the ground for it? Looks like being in that pot is killing it, maybe wrong PH, no more room for roots to grow, no fertillity, may have gotten much too dry. Not sure why it looks like that but when a potted plant looks that bad, I put it in the ground if at all possible. Almost always helps a lot. The black pot isn't doing it any favors either, very hot. If it needs to remain in the pot, it might help to put it where something shades the pot but the plant remains in the sun.

o

Sorry, I don't know which plant this is, but I'm pretty sure it isn't Catharanthus roseus. I don't believe that has serrated leaves (I think they are entire) & the blooms never grow to 3 inches across.

o

It reminds me of something in Euphorbiaceae. Maybe it has been overwatered? If you remove a leaf do you notice white sap?

Can you describe the flower shape ?

Here is a link that might be useful: flower shapes

o

The flowers seem to be coming in groups of two - when I bought it there were two white flowers near each other and now there are two buds near each other. I think the flowers each had five flat petals around a center. I noticed that there was also a thin cone coming out the back that sort of looked like a stem but wasn't actually the stem - I looked at the link of flowers, and I think this plant is spurred. Wish I could describe it better. If the ID isn't confirmed by the time the buds open, I'll take a new picture.

The stems of the plant are quite thick - some about an inch in diameter. I'm not thinking it's a Madagascar Periwinkle, mostly because the place I purchased the plant doesn't have it listed as for sale this year.

Thanks all for your help.

This post was edited by Grithix on Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 16:33

o

Also, no white sap when I pull off a leaf.

o

Is there any way we can look on line at their list of plants or could you possibly paste it here without their name ? That would really help unless there are thousands.

o

Looking again, just noticed what looks like Impatiens seed pods beginning to form - top of pic. Could this be I. walleriana with downy mildew?

o

Impatiens hawkeri, New Guinea Impatiens I believe.

o

Sure. I bought it at the Cabrillo College Horticulture sale. They have a few lists of plants attached to this website. Thanks all for your help. Here's a close up of the buds and leaves.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cabrillo Horticulture Sale

o

I guess they left if off the list because the only species I see listed is Impatiens omeiana and it's not that one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Impatiens omeiana

o

• Posted by deejaus Temperate Aust. (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 20:32

It looks a lot like Impatiens sodenii.

o

Yes - revision on seeing the close up - definitely Impatiens. I rarely see Catharanthus here so maybe not as familiar with it as many of you. Didn't look closely enough.

o

...so does it have a pathogen, or has it just been in the container for too long?

I had no idea there were so many other Impatiens. Why are they hiding them - especially now with the downy mildew issue on I. walleriana?

o

Thanks all for your help. I'm feeling confident that it's impatiens, probably sodenii from the pictures I've looked at. I also saw on a website that some sodenii leaves turn a reddish color in full sun. I'm going to try moving it into a shadier spot and maybe transplant the container (I have a deck garden, so no in-ground planting) and see if that helps. I really appreciate everyone's ID info!

Here is a link that might be useful: Impatiens leaves turning red

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here