Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help identifying ivy-like ground cover near home

Posted by HopeRyan72 Western NY (zone 5?) (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 17, 13 at 13:52

I found this ground covering plant in a forest near my home in western ny. It sprouts up every spring in the deep shade right off the road, and lives all through summer and dies in late fall. It almost is Ivy like in nature because there is one single "stalk" coming out of the ground, and the leaves branch off of it. I think it is gorgeous and would look great in the permanent shade under my tall pine tree, but i want to identify it before i break out the shovel to make sure its not poisonous or something. That would be my luck. I have touched it and walked through it without any reactions. I was just hoping that Identifying it would help me learn if it will spread on its own and if it is extremely invasive. etc.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help identifying ivy-like ground cover near home

Looks like Vinca minor.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vinca

o

commonly known as myrtle

it does NOT die back..

and has pale lavender flowers in season ...

it is a perennial ...

it is not poisonous .... [though i never tried to eat it] .. to the touch ...

i would take scissors.. and dig the roots.. and trim the rest back to 6 inches or so.. and let the roots get re-established.. before it starts growing again.. trying to take a couple feet of runner.. might be hard to do ...

ken

o

Ken, why don't you recommend that it be swiftly and completely removed like you usually recommend for weeds?

This is a horrible weed and there are even infestations in national forests! One plant that if you give it an inch will take a mile!

o

'Myrtle???' That's a new one on me. Periwinkle is the usual common name here.

o

That's why we use binomials.

Excerpt from Wikipedia...

Vinca minor (common names lesser periwinkle or dwarf periwinkle) is a species of flowering plant native to central and southern Europe, from Portugal and France north to the Netherlands and the Baltic States, east to the Caucasus, and also southwestern Asia in Turkey. Other vernacular names used in cultivation include small periwinkle, common periwinkle, and sometimes in the United States, myrtle or creeping myrtle,[1] although this is misleading, as the name myrtle normally refers to the Myrtus species.

o

Not only known as 'myrtle,' but also 'creeping myrtle.'

I also vote that the OP leaves it in the forest. The Former Owners left me some along the north side of the house; it's all tangled in a spirea, and I still haven't gotten it all.

o

Oh, I misread the post. Please do not transplant it! In fact, I'd rip it out of where you found it. It doesn't belong in the forest.

o

rugbyhukr - most common names involving 'Myrtle' refer either to white flowers or scent, neither of which Vinca minor has, so it does seem an odd choice.

BTW - I'm still intrigued by your GW name. Fan or player?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here