Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marathon1974_gw

Please help identify

Marathon1974
9 years ago

Plant with white flower, yellow center. Small pointy leaves. Thank you.

Comments (4)

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    9 years ago

From Wikipedia -
    Portulaca (/ÃÂp�"rtjuÃÂÃÂleêkÃÂ/,[2] purslane) is the type genus of the flowering plant family Portulacaceae, comprising about 40-100 species found in the tropics and warm temperate regions. They are also known as Moss Roses.
    Portulaca 'All Aglow'
    Portulaca grandiflora 'Bicolor'

Common Purslane (Portulaca oleracea) is widely considered an edible plant, and in some areas an invasive type of weed. Some Portulaca species are used as food plants by the larvae of some Lepidoptera species including the Nutmeg (Hadula trifolii).

Purslane can be eaten raw or cooked, and lends itself to stir fry dishes. Some say it has a slight lemon-like taste and mushroom-like texture. It is relatively easy to grow in more northern climates, including the New England area in the United States.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to photos of it in many colors

• calliope
    9 years ago

I would say this is the garden variety, the oleracea has roundish leaves. This is probably grandiflora.

• weedwoman
    9 years ago

That one is Portulaca grandiflora (I always just heard it called Portulaca), a garden flower. Like Caliope says, purselane has different shaped leaves, much smaller flowers, and a different growth habit.

WW

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

its an annual.. that reseeds.. if you recognize the young plants next spring.. and actually plant it in mother earth ...

once established.. it can take a lot of lack of water abuse ... and relishes full sun.. in mother earth ...

in other words.. it might not do well in a pot ... especially if it has no drainage .... and small pots in full sun can be a problem ...

ken