Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greengoblin72

I spy with my little eye...

greengoblin72
10 years ago

Ok so heres the thing, my parents bought a house last year, and, never being homeowners before, they are clueless to what is growing around them. Ive been trying to weed out (haha) as much as I can, but I'm learning too. Last week I got poison ivy from a large patch that was growing in the backyard, so I think it's time to figure out what is what. If you can identify anything, I'd appreciate it!
I'm sorry for all the pictures....:)

1. This is a wheaty grass looking thing...
{{gwi:257459}}
2. I have no idea...
{{gwi:257461}}
3. I have no idea on this either, but I don't like them. They keep popping out of the azalea bushes and make them look awful...
{{gwi:257463}}
4. This is a common weed I think, I just don't know the name...
{{gwi:257465}}
5. I think this is some kind of ivy, I hope it's not a weed, it used to have pretty purple flowers, I like it.
{{gwi:257467}}
6. I don't know what I'm going to do about this one, there's so many of them, and they are so little. It's going to take forever to pull them all out.
{{gwi:257469}}
{{gwi:257471}}
{{gwi:257473}}
7. I like this one too, just don't know what it is...
{{gwi:257475}}
8. Is this poison sumac?
{{gwi:257477}}
9. :\?
{{gwi:257479}}
10. virginia creeper?
{{gwi:257480}}
11. This looks like a baby maple tree or something
{{gwi:257481}}
12. This is sprouting out of an azalea bush...
{{gwi:257482}}
13. Poison ivy?
{{gwi:257483}}
{{gwi:257484}}
14. Virginia creeper?
{{gwi:257485}}
15. This picture is referring to the long vine-y thing
{{gwi:257486}}
16. ??
{{gwi:257487}}
17. Overgrown grass??
{{gwi:257488}}
18. I couldn't guess
{{gwi:257491}}
19. It almost looks like false strawberry.
{{gwi:257493}}
20. I tried killing some of these with weed killer....
{{gwi:257495}}
21. This is some type of ivy that our neighbors planted.
{{gwi:257496}}
22. Virginia creeper again?
{{gwi:257497}}
23. ....?
{{gwi:257498}}
24. These little things are all over.
{{gwi:257499}}
25/26. I think 26 is a dandelion?
{{gwi:257500}}
27. It looks like the one in 25. *double checks* not really...
{{gwi:257501}}
28. ?
{{gwi:257502}}
29. This looks like another baby tree, but it also kind of looked like poison oak, except it has too many leaves.
{{gwi:257503}}
30. Decorative shrub thing, what is it called?
{{gwi:257504}}
My poison ivy rash:(
{{gwi:257505}}

I really appreciate your help!! I know it's a lot of plants, and a lot of your time to read and look at and identify. So thanks for anything you can contribute!!:)

Comments (15)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

seriously.. you expect me to flip up and down 30 times ... perhaps others have more patience than i do .. i would suggest limiting to 3 or 4 per post ...

6 looks like nightshade.. highly poisonous.. if ingested.. or rubbed in your eyes.. belladonna style ...

30 is a hosta .. one of the undulata...

ken

• CaraRose
    10 years ago

1. Is some kind of grass going to seed
    2 Looks like a seedling... I think possibly rose of sharon
    3. Rose of sharon, I think.
    4. Is it prickly?
    5, 9, 28 all look like a type of vinca vine.
    7. Looks like Bittersweet Nightshade.
    8. I wouldn't take my poor knowledge of the subject for sure, but I think poison sumac has red stems, green stems indicate a good sumac.
    10. Looks like it to me. The other vine in the photo looks like english ivy.
    11. Maple seedling

15. Looks like nightshade

17. Looks like a sedge of some sort

20. Looks like a goldenrod
    21. English Ivy
    22. I think so.
    25. Reminds me of the leaves of the purple deadnettle I get all over my garden.

27 Looks like a violet of some sort.
    29. I'd say an Oak seedling
    30 Hostas

• misterpatrick
    10 years ago

I'll just do a couple of them. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

6. creeping bellflower. Read up on it.

7. The flowers look like deadly nightshade.

11. Yup, maple and ash get everywhere.

20. Lady's Thumb or knotweed?

22 etc. All those 5-fingered plants are virginia creeper. A fine native that you can keep. Doesn't grow too quickly.

25. Garlic mustard - pull as quickly as possible

27. Looks like a wild violet.

• jaceysgranny
    10 years ago

#5 find a major variety #8 hickory tree? #9 eponymous fortunes-winter creeper. #28 find a major #30 hosta

Poison ivy-leaflets three let it be!

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Suggestions:

3 - Hibiscus syriacus, rose of Sharon
    5 - Vinca major
    7 - Solanum dulcamara
    8 - not PS, some kind of tree
    9 - Vinca minor
    10 - one of the Parthenocissus with Hedera helix, English ivy
    11 - hopefully a maple tree, but may not be where you want one
    14 - Parthenocissus and Solanum dulcamara
    17 - burrs, not just grass!
    19 - weedy berry vine
    20 - Solidago, goldenrod
    22 - Hedera helix, English ivy
    23 - walnut, pecan, hickory seedling
    25 - in the center, Alcea, hollyhock
    28 - Vinca minor
    29 - some kind of Quercus, oak (poison oak looks almost like poison ivy)

13 - most of the leaves don't look like PI to me, but I don't think those in the red circle are the same as the others, and do look like PI.

• jaceysgranny
    10 years ago

Vinca not find a

• greengoblin72
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow! you guys are amazing!!
    @CaraRose #4 It's not the prickly kind, I just pulled one of those prickly ones somewhere else!
    I read that virginia creeper can cause rashes, is this true?
    I will be doing so much research on all of these plants now, thank you guys so much!!! I wish I could bake you cookies to say thank you:)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Some people do report getting contact dermatitis from VC. The Solanum can give some folks a rash too, but it's not as miserable or as long-lasting as poison ivy. A PI rash will have blisters with clear liquid in them soon after the itching starts. Do you have a pet? They can run through PI and get the urishiol on you.

If the one I said could be hollyhock (and others have suggested garlic mustard) smells like onion/garlic at all, kill it and anything similar. Hollyhock would not smell like that. When very young, the two look a lot alike.

I'd be happy to get cookies in the mail... if that's our only option here...?! I get the sense you're not interested in driving them around, state-to-state...

• jayco
    10 years ago

I would say all that stuff in photo #13 (good numbering, here) IS poison ivy. I am super-allergic to it and we have tons, so I can tell you it does not always look the same. Google it and see all the many variations.

Here's what I do: every spring around late April in zone 5b I wait until a good, soaking rain comes, and then the next day I suit up and pull it out by the roots, stuff it into a big garbage bag, and take it to the dump. That keeps it beaten back to a reasonable degree, if you do a good job each year.

Also bear in mind the roots also cause the allergy, it can linger in dead plants for a long time, and whatever you do, don't burn it. You can inhale it and get an allergic reaction in your bronchi and lungs. Don't mow it for the same reason.

I hate it. Good luck!

• missingtheobvious
    10 years ago

The oil in poison ivy -- even in a dead plant -- remains strong enough to bother you for 5 years. You can get it from your pet, your clothes, your garden tools, whatever.

The liquid in the blisters is not infectious. But be aware that when you come in contact with PI, various locations on your body may break out in blisters over the course of several days, even if all the PI contact was on the same day.

TechNu is excellent for removing the oil from your skin.
    http://www.teclabsinc.com/products/poison-oak-ivy

Here's one of GW's epic poison ivy threads; I bookmarked it but haven't re-read it. Most likely some of the info is wrong, but you'll learn what is what.
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/woodland/msg0523233727381.html

I favor Ortho's Poison Ivy and Tough Brush Killer (they change the name every few years); buy the concentrate and mix your own; you'll need that much. (I get it from Home Depot; our Lowe's used to have it but no longer does, but you could use anything with that percentage of triclopyr.) The root system will keep the plant alive through more than one spraying. (But be aware that this spray will kill other woody plants and trees also. Some will be much less resistant than PI.) There are also some products which combine triclopyr with glyphosate (the ingredient in Round-Up). Whether you want to use chemicals is up to you.

Depending on the location and how much PI there is in that area, you may want to pull the plants.

If you have PI vines growing up the tree-trunks, sever them; otherwise you'll have PI seeds raining down from above to start new plants. Of course, the seeds will also wash downhill from whoever's uphill from you. And birds will eat the berries, so you'll find seedlings popping up under the trees they perch in.

Do learn to recognize PI and not-PI, or you will be spraying Jack-in-the-pulpit, trillium, wild clematis, and a host of interesting and desirable (or at least non-toxic) native plants.

1 is probably a lawn grass in the wrong location.
    2 is Rose of Sharon.
    4 is absolutely some sort of weed you don't want.
    5 is vinca minor.
    6 on the left is a maple tree.
    7 is one of the nightshades. They will seed all over the place.
    9 is vinca again.
    10 is Virginia creeper.
    11 is a maple tree.
    13 is poison ivy.

17 is definitely sedge, probably yellow nut-sedge. Read up on it. Nutsedge spreads by seeds as well as by tiny tubers (the nuts). If all else fails, there are sprays that kill it (though I suspect they'll kill everything else too).

19 is some sort of strawberry. Be aware that there's a strawberry look-alike called Indian mock-strawberry (Duchesnea chrysantha) with tiny, tasteless fruit.

20 is likely English ivy. You'll want to pull it too. I didn't have enough of it to have to learn all the details. If your neighbors have it, you'll have seedlings.

22 Virginia creeper.
    24 maple seedlings.
    28 is Virginia creeper.

29 might be an oak tree. Is there anything in the neighborhood with those leaves?

30 is a variegated hosta. They are one of the plants that's happy in shade, and they're generally valued for their attractive leaves. They are not a shrub but die back each winter and come up in the spring. There will be flowers. (You can see a non-variegated hosta at the mid-right upper edge of 15.)

• greengoblin72
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@purpleinopp I'd be happy to send you cookies through the mail!!:D I'll bake for anyone (I've been told my white chip macadamia nut cookies alone deserve a PhD:))
    I don't have any pets, and I've been washing anything that might still have poison ivy on it, gloves, clothes, sheets, etc.
    @jayco I sprayed this Ortho poison ivy killer and it seems to be killing it, but if the roots will still survive do you still recommend pulling them? I was considering covering the whole area with a sheet to smother them, but again if the roots are still intact... I also wanted to try boiling water, I heard that is very effective, but I'm not sure if that would cause a reaction through the steam. (Not to mention it would be a lot of water to boil!)
    @Missingtheobvious 5 years!?!? Holy cow!! Right now, the main concern is eliminating the PI and if other plants are sacrificed in the process then so be it. PI must die! I did use the Ortho's and it's working great, I did two spray downs and I think I'll do two more at least. As for the rash, I've tried everything from calamine lotion to something called Zanfel (at $40 per 2inch tube) and nothing works better than holding the rash under scalding hot water, it takes the itch away for hours!! Such a relief!
    I've been looking for trees that look similar to these leaves and they must be farther away in the neighbors yards, none of our trees look like this.

Thank you again everyone!!! You guys are great:)

• missingtheobvious
    10 years ago

greengoblin, forgive me for not being clear. TechNu's purpose is to remove the oil (urushiol) from your skin before it has any effect (when you know where you touched the PI -- or where you may have touched it). Simply follow the directions. It may not be 100% effective, but will prevent the vast majority of the problem.

Just to be clear, don't spray the PI a second time till the new leaves are full-sized (at that size, they can absorb more spray). When the plant is no longer able to grow new leaves after a good rain, it's dead and you can stop spraying. [The exception would be that in the fall, the plant might not put out new leaves, but you couldn't be certain it wouldn't do so in the spring.]

If you find a really large PI plant and are willing to use something to cut off the stem near the ground, immediately put Poison Ivy Killer concentrate on the freshly-cut stem (use enough of it to cover the cut surface). This tactic is especially useful when a PI vine climbs a tree. [It also works on unwanted small trees or large shrubs which you can't remove the roots of.]

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    10 years ago

1 lawn grass going to seed
    2 perhaps hawthorn seedling
    3 ivy groundcover & Norway maple on left (both invasive in many parts of the country), rose of sharon
    4 thistle if prickly, wild lettuce (Lactuca) if not
    5 variegated vinca
    6 don’t know what it is, but try a hand tool to scratch around and root it up before it gets larger.
    7 nightshade, Solanum sp. Will seed around weedily
    8 young ash tree
    9 vinca
    10 virginia creeper and ivy
    11 young Norway maple probably (tear leaf and if sap milky, Norway)
    12 ash tree seedling
    13 P.I. A strong mix of glysophate herbicide used on whole area, reapplied when it has resprouted, and then followed by corrugated cardboard covered by mulch will get rid of most of it. Reapply glysophate ASAP as any new sprouts appear through the mulch. This has the advantage of covering up the old foliage with its still-there urushiol oil and keeping other weeds from sprouting as well as keeping the PI from getting any photosynthesis going.
    Soak effected clothing in Biz, wash twice with regular detergent. Wash skin with alcohol, soap, alcohol, soap. It is drying to skin, but will remove all PI oil. Wipe down shoes with alcohol. I can get rash again from clothes that weren’t adequately cleaned.
    Microwave a bowl of oatmeal and smear that on skin when cool for the ultimate relief. 1% cortisone creme works to reduce itch as well. (It took me most of a summer to figure out that our cat was wandering into the PI and then sitting on the furniture and I was getting it all over the back of my legs from Urushiol on the furniture.)
    14 Virginia creeper and some more nightshade
    15 Hosta (plain green at top) but not sure of viney thing, perhaps more nightshade
    16 See comment for 6
    17 sedge, a grass-like plant but not grass. Some varieties are ornamental, so if you like it, leave it.
    18 not sure what it is, but a weed. It has seeds with fluff attached that will drift around and reseed if you let it get that far
    19 Avens - weedy type probably
    20 weed, but don’t know name - has tiny pink or white flowers
    21 ivy - see note for 3
    22 Virginia creeper spreads more than I like in my garden even though it's native
    23 wild or black cherry (Prunus) seedling
    24 red maple seedling
    25 garlic mustard - don’t let it go to seed as it will increase exponentially. Has short tap root, so a narrow weeder or old screwdriver may help if you aren't getting the roots out
    26 dandelion
    27 If it is fuzzy, it probably isn’t a violet; it somehow doesn't look quite right
    28 same as 9 Vinca
    29 red oak group seedling - could be red oak, black oak
    30 hosta - different variety than at top of 15
    31 my sympathies!

A suggestion that you start saving the cartons from your folks' move or collecting cartons at the grocery store as well as newspapers. As soon as you get an area cleared, put down cardboard if it is a large area or multiple layers of newspaper, folded as needed if you are working around plants (wet it down so it stays put) and then cover immediately with mulch. This will reduce more weeds sprouting since this whole yard most probably has a huge bank of weed seeds in the soil. The least expensive way to get mulch is by the truck load if there is somewhere you can have it dumped and then wheel-barrow it to where you want it. (Some towns compost yard waste and residents can get mulch free or inexpensively as long as they pick it up.) When things are a bit under control, you can cut in a deep V edge between the lawn and the mulched areas or get some of the plastic edging and dig a slot to bury that along the edge. Once these things are done, you can decide if you want to do some planting, probably next season. Just remember where the PI used to be so that you don't get it from the dead plants and roots.

PS - the cookie recipe would be more than welcome to me!

• flora_uk
    10 years ago

Other possibilities - 17 could be Brunnera.
    27 could be a Potentilla judging by the height of the flowering stem growing from the centre. When it flowers (soon) you could show us again.

25 Alliaria petiolata, GarlicMustard,

5 is Vinca Major and 9 & 28 are Vinca minor

• Stashbug
    9 years ago

I have had to clear ALOT of these kinds of plants from my yard, so I might not know all the names, but I can usually tell you whether its aggressive or not :)
    4. I don't know what it's called, but it is a weed, and it will take over.
    5. Variegated vinca-Left unchecked it can be aggressive, but i cut mine way back each year, and plant it in places where I need good ground cover.
    6. Looks like Philadelphia Fleabane...can be agg. but I only leave one or two plants each year and I don't let them seed.
    7. Nightshade-highly invasive.
    9. Regular vinca...same as #5
    10. Virginia creeper...needs to be cut back each year.
    11. Maple sapling
    15. possibly more nightshade
    16. Stinging nettles!!!!!! DO NOT touch with bare skin!! Also highly invasive if left too long.
    17. Sedge...not aggressive at all, desirable
    18. Believe it may be same as #4
    19. Wild Strawberry...not horribly invasive, seems to behave same as reg. strawberry
    20. Looks like Obedient plant
    21. English ivy...pretty much the same behaviour as vinca.
    22. Yep, you guessed right.
    25. Silver dollar plant...very pretty, very aggresive
    26. Dandelion, surrounded by stinging nettles!!
    27. Wild violet...pretty aggressive, and no weed killer on earth will get rid of it. Have it in my grass too :(
    28. More vinca
    30. Hosta...very desirable!!! Not aggressive, usually you divide it every few years.

Please where good gloves when you are handling any of these plants, but esp. around the stinging nettle. And depending where you live, giant hogweed could be growing in that mess and it is very dangerous to handle.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting