Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gretchen658

tree that smells like honeysuckle?

gretchen658
14 years ago

I've passed a few trees lately in the neighborhood that you can practically smell from a block away. It smells just like honeysuckle perfume to me, and I was under the assumption this was honeysuckle until I learned that was actually a vine. lol They've just started blooming in the past week or so here in Southern Indiana. Does anyone know what this could be?

Comments (22)

• gardenlover25
    14 years ago

A tree of jasmine flowers smells like a honeysuckle.

• carol23_gw
    14 years ago

Maybe Black Locust. You didn't describe the tree or flowers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Robinia

• Carrie B
    14 years ago

Lindens (tilia) are blooming here, now, they're one of my favorite plant fragrances.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:257780}}

• gretchen658
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sorry, not really sure how to describe that it's a very large shady looking tree. The flowers from the linden look like it could be it, but I didn't really pay enough attention to them. I'll have to take another look. Thanks!

• northspruce
    14 years ago

I thought of lindens too. There are several kinds but all have very rounded leaves with a point at the end. (fat heart shape)

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

Note also that many honeysuckles are non-vining shrubs.

• catman529
    14 years ago

bboy - Bush honeysuckle, at least the species in our area, blooms in early spring and doesn't have nearly as much fragrance as Japanese (vine) honeysuckle.

I know of a spot where some black locusts are growing right next to a big vine of Japanese honeysuckle - so I don't remember what black locust smells like but I do remember that is smells good (a lot better than Privet).

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

I was not saying plant in question would be a honeysuckle.

• lycopus
    14 years ago

Black locust flowers smell a bit like grapes to me. Don't know how to describe the smell of Lindens but it is definitely nice.

• weedwoman
    14 years ago

I'd go with Linden too. The flowers aren't very noticeable but you can smell them from quite a distance away. Also, I was in Ohio a couple weeks ago and the Black Locusts were in bloom then; they'd be over now. And I think Basswood or American Linden (Tilia americana) is a pretty common wild tree out there.

WW

• Richard Silk
    7 years ago

I've got a ROW of vines behind the back yard fence that grow along trees and bushes -- and it produces shaker-like, 2" plumes of white, star-burst-like 1/4" flowers that radiate around the stem tips. Beneath these 2" bloom sections are the leaves, which are about 1/2" to 1" in length and oval in shape with smooth edges. These leaves tend to grow in pairs (but are not perfectly restricted to pairs, sometimes appearing in threes) that may or may not sprout off of twigs that sprout off the main vine. And the whole thing has an *overpowering* scent of honeysuckle. Any ideas?

• carol23_gw
    7 years ago

Richard, what is your location ? Vines with fragrant flowers could be Clematis, Trachelospermum, Stephanotis, Hoya, Funastrum among others. Why not post a photo of it?

• Richard Silk
    7 years ago

Here's a photo I just managed to wrangle out of my limited resources:

• carol23_gw
    7 years ago

Are you certain it's a vine and not a shrub? The details of the flowers are lacking but it reminds me of Ligustrum, aka privet which are fragrant.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ligustrum+flowers&biw=1920&bih=940&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwi7irKM2OnMAhVCVT4KHS2MAdQQ_AUIBygC

• Richard Silk
    7 years ago

The flowers are ultra-small: 4-petaled quarter-inch flowers with two anthers per bloom. I've had two suggestions for "lilac," with one of them specifically as "white lilac" -- I suspect this is the closest match.

• marinaka Ito_10a
    7 years ago

Ceanothus velutinus? I can't see the details of the leaves in the photo. C. velutinus has tiny teeth. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceanothus_velutinus

• Richard Silk
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I suppose I will have to wait until it goes to seed in the Fall to get a better distinction. The photos in online image searches seem to match both privet as well as white lilac.

I can report that each blossom has 4 petals and 2 anthers. At least I can possibly browse some books for better comparisons. And "fragrant" is a superlative adjective for the blossoms.

• Richard Silk
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I've examined the leaves as closely as possible with a magnifying glass but not a microscope -- they appear smooth -- I cannot see "teeth" along their edges. The younger leaves are quite oval, while the older leaves are elongated. After drying for a day, they're downright finger-shaped / slender. Also, my location is about 300 yards (perhaps 1000 feet) from the geographical center of the state of Tennessee.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    7 years ago

It is not white lilac - the leaves are not the right shape at all and the flowers are far too small. And it can't be Ceanothus. The opposite foliage arrangement rules that out completely, teeth or no teeth. If you could post an in focus picture with a scale we could confirm the Privet id easily. No need for magnifying glasses or waiting for seed.

• Richard Silk
    7 years ago

Well! Surprise, surprise -- I stand corrected -- it is NOT a vine, and does not intertwine. It is an exceptionally skinny twig structure that follows back to a tree-like stem of no more than 1" or so in diameter at the ground. These ground-stems seem to grow in groups, but this stand is amongst a rather diverse group of plant-life, so I would put this as somewhere between a tree-like bush and a bush-like tree.

• mgrucke3
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I love the fragrance of honeysuckle and while in Seville Spain found what I will call a honeysuckle tree 12-13 foot tall and trunk 7 foot long. Here’s a pic of blooms

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County