Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
itty-bitty climbing/vining/spreading ground cover?

Posted by sprchik Michigan (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 30, 14 at 15:34

Would love to know what this is! The area it is growing is pretty much full shade, along the west side of my house (there are 2 large maples in the yard providing shade in the afternoon/evening hours).

And I don't know if this section is a different variety of the same thing, or if it's new growth and the white appears as it ages? But it's all green with no white on it yet...

It grows pretty erect when there's nothing near to climb:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: itty-bitty climbing/vining/spreading ground cover?

Looks like Euonymus fortunei 'Emerald Gaiety'.

It can revert to solid green.

With more sun and some pruning it can form a nice mound rather than sprawl or climb.

This post was edited by dave_in_nova on Mon, Jun 30, 14 at 15:44

o

Yes, Euonymus " Emerald Gaiety"

o

It's self clinging and has clearly gone up that white wall in the past. If you let it climb and clip it back every so often it makes a good wall shrub.

o

Thanks for the ID folks! I really like this little guy, plan to keep it. It's a lovely border there along the bottom of the house at the back of the garden.

o

Euonymus fortunei is a terribly invasive plant. It is devastating woodlands in the Midwest. It not only displaces native wildflowers, it also affects tree regeneration. Once it goes up a tree and produces berries the birds spread it near and far. Plants like this are causing states millions of dollars each year to eradicate. If you don't believe me do a little checking for yourself.

o

Well, I am in Michigan, and the Michigan Plant Invasiveness Assessment System (June 2008) lists it as not problematic here, but does acknowledge the problems it has caused elsewhere:

There are no reports of it being identified in the wild (this does not include cultivated gardens) in my county, either -- http://michiganflora.net/species.aspx?id=808

I have a small amount of it in two flower beds, with no trees for it to climb (though it is growing up into a purple-leaved barberry in the bed... that'll be fun and painful to sort out). It seems pretty content clinging to the house in this spot, and I like it there. Shouldn't be difficult to keep it trimmed and contained where it is.

This is nothing compared to the invasiveness of the japanese knotweed in the back corner of the lot.

o

I also have emerald gaiety in my yard. I had taken two small clippings from my daughters yard a couple of years ago. So far mine has stayed small.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here