Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
4 different plant ids

Posted by trathsack MD - 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 19, 14 at 15:37

Hi all. Still combing my yard for interesting plants to keep and let go to seed in order to put into my native/useful garden next year.

Purple flower

Something that looks like a jade plant almost

Plant gone to seed

small leafy plants with red areas at each leaf joint

Thanks so much in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 4 different plant ids

Jade plant type plant

o

Jade plant type plant - 2

o

Plant gone to seed

o

#2 looks like purslane

o

Gone to seed 2

o

small leafy plants with red areas at each leaf joint

o

Thanks everyone...FWIW, I do try to help id anything i see that i might know on here, unfortunately, I know very little. :/

o

#3 is a type of geranium.

o

Ok! I just pretty much identified that #3 is Carolina Cranesbill (Geranium carolinianum) thanks to @CaraRose and a google search with this blog http://elmostreport.blogspot.com/2008_06_01_archive.html.

I like the little flower but I think I'll have trouble growing it anywhere but the back end of my driveway.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nature in the Ozarks

o

First one looks like Securigera varia. Last one could be Chenopodium album.

o

I agree with Securigera varia aka Crown Vetch although I stared at the top down picture for several moments before I realised I was looking at a legume. Birds Eye view is aften difficult for id purposes.

Also agree on Chenopodium album.

o

lets shorten this ... all but the geranium are weeds ... and depending on how aggressive the G reseeds.. even that could be considered a weed in most gardens

in my garden anyway ...

fancy latin names dont change such ...

ken

o

LOL @ken_adrian

I don't mind if they are considered weeds, that is kind of what i"m looking for, local native "weeds" that serve a purpose or are edible/medicinal.

I'm aiming to teach my three kids about some local flora - and if it's already growing in our yard, I'd like to keep it here. I limit the amount of pesticide we use as my kids and doggies love our yard.

I'm already letting our wild chicory and plantain weed go to seed. I've collected quite a few dandelion seeds as well.

If I have purslane, lambs quarters and hopefully violets they'll be making an appearance too.

thanks everyone!

o

You do have purslane, that's what the 'jade type plant' is.

And if that's the geranium I think it is it counts as a weed in my yard.
Not that that's a bad thing...

WW

o

trathsack - an admirable sentiment. However, just for accuracy's sake, neither Securigera varia nor Chenopodium album is native in the US.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here