Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Magnolia acuminata?

Posted by Zaqa 10b (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 8, 14 at 15:43

Is this the Cucumber Magnolia (Magnolia acuminata)? This specimen is but three years old. Although I knowe the age, I had planted a broad assortment of seeds, both tree and shrub, in one location, thus my confusion as I do not remember what I had actually planted there...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Magnolia acuminata?

It looks as if it could be an M. acuminata. Leaves are right...hard to tell w/out the shape of the mature tree. That is some specimen for only 3 yrs! WOW! I've grown a couple of species from seed (M. fraseri and M. virginicus)...they're in their second yr and they are about 4 inches tall! How did you do that?

o

Looks similar to Persimmon as well if you planted that. Looking at the leaf buds in winter would help distinguish.

o

adidas : Haha, thank you! I am actaully in 6a (where this plant is located) at the moment, but it was planted in late-November of 2011 and began growing the following spring. So 3.25 years to be exact. It was also planted by a south-facing window with lots of rocks merely inches away. Lots of warmth. It will have to be relocated one day in the near future...

esh_ga : Thanks for the other tip off for Persimmon as that was another one of the seeds that I had planted in that given location. I will make sure to check the buds if I am still at this locale come budding time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here