Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kwynne713

mystery beauty growing on edge of lawn

KWynne
9 years ago

Please help me identify this! Thank you! It came out sideways and I dont know why....sorry

Comments (23)

• Iris GW
    9 years ago

Where is this located (city, state)?

• suemcwirraluk
    9 years ago

I have no idea what this is but I am bumping up to the top in the hope someone will identify it because it looks very intriguing.

• alisonoz_gw
    9 years ago

Could it be something like milkweed - Asclepias syriaca with florets just forming, and maybe on the edge of the lawn it's been weed-whacked when smaller and the stems are just re-shooting. Just a thought.

• calliope
    9 years ago

How about you dig one up and tell us what you see in the way of a root system, bulb or whatever?

• missingtheobvious
    9 years ago

It looks -- sideways at least -- like a decapitated broccoli trying to sprout side shoots, and with demented tendrils.

The leaves are of course totally wrong for broccoli (and Asclepias syriaca, from what I've seen in photos). Is there anything related which has tendrils and parallel-veined leaves?

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

How about a photo from a bit farther back?

• plantknitter
    9 years ago

looking like a type of Arum seed pod maybe?

• calliope
    9 years ago

That's what first struck me too, plantknitter, mainly because of the little green knobs, but aren't most of them in a terminal position? These appear up and down the main shoot at what looks like leaf axils. I'd also like to know a size reference. It does look like this is something regenerating from a mowing or weed whack job............the tops of the plants are too even, and not normal looking.

• KWynne
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Southern Maine. Thanks for the help folks. It stands just above 3 feet. It's remarkably symmetrical.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Can you show it from further back? It's really hard to make out what we're looking at there.

• calliope
    9 years ago

Three feet? Not when this picture was taken, I can see blades of grass and the ground near the apex of the plants. Dig you inspect what is under ground on one?

• KWynne
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It wont let me post any pictues now! It shot up about a foot or more since I posted.y othrr have tadted the little broccolilike buds ( yes I freaked out... ) and said it tasted like broccoli only bitter. He's stilll alive. I cant find anything like it by googling. *sigh*

• KWynne
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It wont let me post any pictues now! It shot up about a foot or more since I posted.y othrr have tadted the little broccolilike buds ( yes I freaked out... ) and said it tasted like broccoli only bitter. He's stilll alive. I cant find anything like it by googling. *sigh*

• alisonoz_gw
    9 years ago

Try changing the "subject of posting" in the reply box above the message box to something else like "follow up photo" and it should let you post.

• KWynne
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh the wonders of facebook... a friend posted a pic and got a response so I googled it. Found it! Its a catbrier!

• Carrie B
    9 years ago

Catbrier as in Smilax? That's not it. Using common names exclusively can be deceptive.

Here is a link that might be useful: Smilax

• missingtheobvious
    9 years ago

Absolutely not any Smilax.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

If you go to the Post a Follow up box you can add another picture. Click on the choose file box. Without more evidence it looks as if we will not be able to help you.

• plantknitter
    9 years ago

Or start another post with both pictures and post the link to that post here as well as this link on that one.

Still thinking an Arum --but 3 feet? an Arisaema? Pinellia?

• KWynne
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Trying again

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

No picture. If they are on your computer you should be able to just add a pic by clicking Choose File. I've done it many times. Not sure what's the snag for you.Example:

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

And here it is again.

• fig_insanity Z7b E TN
    9 years ago

Maybe a pinellia that got weed-whacked? The seeds, and even the leaves that are weirdly coming out of the top of the stem remind me of a pinellia...but never having seen one that has met a weedeater, I don't really know what you would get.

John