Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this a plant or a weed?

Posted by kat124 South jersey (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 29, 14 at 16:19

Hello! I found this growing in our yard and I am not sure whether to pull it or not...can someone help me identify it? Thank you so much I am new to this!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this a plant or a weed?

Looks like hosta

o

yikes...

there is a very active hosta forum ...

and there is no doubt.. that is what it is ..

they like guessing names if you are interested ...

ken

ps: you can pull it if you want ... its just a plain green one .. dont need anyone's permission.. EVER.. for this ...

o

It has very nice leaves, Ken, and green is a perfectly acceptable color. Furthermore, it's obviously quite happy in that spot (I only wish half the things I plant on purpose looked that happy).

o

Thanks everyone for your responses! I didn't think it was hosta, we have one that is much more colorful but I guess there are different species! Thanks for identifying it and for the tip on the hosta forum, I will post there too! I think I will leave it, it does look happy and there are baby hosta not too far from it. I planted a dwarf rhododendron near it too. Wonder how it got there? Thanks again for your expertise, glad to hear it is not a weed!

o

i own over 1500 independent hosta cultivars ...

of which.. having got caught in buying names.. let me suggest.. it looks like about 400 of my plain green hosta...

need you argue with every single answer i give ... its obvious to me.. you feel the need.. so knock yourself out ...

if the OP does not want a hosta there.. she should feel free to pull it out.. she should not keep it.. because you think its pretty.. .

kat.. anything that is NOT WHERE YOU WANT IT... is a weed... its one of the simplest definitions of weed ...

if you want it.. cherish it.. but never keep something.. because someone else tells you it has value ...

see you in the hosta forum.. if you want to get completely enabled with hosta CULTIVARs...

ken

o

Ken, if that was aimed at me, I can only say that I certainly don't argue with everything you post -- 1 percent, perhaps, on this forum. And way less in the rest of GW.

Lighten up!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here