Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Keep or destroy? Plant #3 -- Holly bush?

Posted by boredsogarden 8 VA (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 15, 14 at 16:19

Red berries once a year. These were obviously planted as part of the landscape, but seem to take over size-wise. If they are not desirable (i.e. non-native and do not serve any other local wildlife/birds/etc. then I would like to get rid of them).

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Keep or destroy? Plant #3 -- Holly bush?

[Plant #3 old growth...]

o

Looks like a Burford holly (the single point leaves) grafted onto a Chinese holly (the multi-prickled, "holly" looking leaves). The rootstock has sprouted and will take over if you don't take off the sprouts now.

o

So I want to keep the old growth...and remove the new--is that right? Will the inner one attract birds?

Thank you.

o

Burford holly is a nice, prunable landscaping shrub. Mine are a slower-growing dwarf variety. I assume birds are the reason the berries disappear, but I've never actually seen the birds eating them.

Since you're in zone 8, you're unlikely to have weather cold enough to bother them.

Do prune off the spiky branches!

o

Doubtful that the hollies are grafted. More than likely they are reverting to the 'wilder' form....or perhaps a seedling is growing among the Burfords.

Hollies are a valuable source of food for birds in the winter time. Birds such as robins and cedar waxwings depend on them.

Burford hollies can take drought and heat well and still remain a beautiful green. That is why they are commonly used in the South.

Burfords can take pruning several times a season to remain smaller. This one has obviously not been pruned. That is why it is 'taking over'.

In zone 8 you can probably prune it any time.

o

Thank you Dave in NoVA!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here