Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What caused damage (prank or something)?

Posted by linaria 7 Switzerland (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 20, 14 at 16:50

Slightly off topic, but this forum is much more activ than the Dahlia site.

That pic is of a short Dahlia type. It was fine one day, looked slightly funny one afternoon and was half dead the next evening. It is in a planter together with other annuals. Could salt solution cause this, or something similar?

I remember that I noticed wet patches on the soil the other afternoon, so someone else had poured something into the planter.
There is a black eyed Susan/ Thunbergia that was also strongly affected, dropping all leaves, vines drying up almost completely.

When I found that poor Dahlia I flooded the planter with fresh water hoping to get rid off whatever had caused it.

The other plants kept going more or less, especially a Lantana (are they salt tolerant by the way...?).

Anyone an idea?

I have replanted and my anger has cooled down, but I would still like to know what that was.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What caused damage (prank or something)?

Is the planter in a public location?

I suppose could be poison.

Also looks like sunburn.

o

If I was limited to a single guess I would say a very tall dog with a large bladder or an intoxicated fat man with similar intent. The leaf closest to camera suffered most and those below show where it dripped onto them. Now to recall a guest you didn't see to their car the night before damage was discovered. OMG,I hope it wasn't in broad daylight.

o

ditto what klem1 says.....or fertilizer burn.....

o

very tall dog with a large bladder or an intoxicated fat man with similar intent.

==>>> whats the significance of the man being fat??? ... lol

pee is fertilizer ... a form or urea ... isnt it?? .. so to say fert burn.. would be redundant ... if you are discussing fat men

could we suggest that anything being carried in a cup by a fat man??? .... could have been dumped into the container .. coffee.. beer.. alcohol ... red bull???? .... hmmmm .. so many possibilities .. maybe he had a jar of pickles.. and it was vinegar?????

i dont suppose you noticed any lingering aroma.. before you flooded it????

ken

o

Thanks for your input,
that narrows it down to some kind of salt/ fertilizer burn.

How lethal is dog pee, could one spill cause that much burn?

The planter is in front of our house, next to a pretty busy pavement.

So, very likely dog or mug content.

The Dahlias were growing for 3 weeks at least in the sun, so no sun burn.

I did not apply fertilzer.

No scent of vinegar, coffee, pee, red bull or anything noticable. I usually pick up funny scent ( have to test smell dubious milk etc in our family).

And could be with bad intent or ingnorance,
2 years ago someone ripped off half of my annual climber when we were on a holiday in the very same planter.

Only thing I wonder about now is, how strong a solution would have to be to burn leaves after one contact.

Well then, at least the new stuff keeps growing,
Thanks, bye, Lin

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here