Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help ID invasive weedy vine

Posted by ghoghunter Zone6b SE PA (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 1, 09 at 17:38

I have this weedy vine growing behind my yard and it is always trying to spread into my garden. Could you help me ID it?

Leaves

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help ID invasive weedy vine

Looks like Oriental Bittersweet, Celastrus orbiculatus.

Here is a link that might be useful: Oriental bittersweet

o

Carol It does look like that except I don't ever see berries on this which kind of made me think it might be something else. This year I'll pay even closer attention to it but all I've ever seen is the green vine part.
Thanks so much for responding.

o

It looks like oriental bittersweet to me, too. One test is to pull up a piece of root - if the root is a very bright orange color, that's another ID characteristic of C. orbiculatus.

o
RE: Help ID my invasive vine

Oh it does have an orange root because I am always digging them out of the little garden bed that is next to the fence. I wonder if the birds are getting the berries before I even notice them?
Thanks everyone..you are always so knowledgable!!
Joann

o

It's dioecious, so fruiting plants are female. I guess yours is a male.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here