Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trying to find Plantain (herb)

Posted by Seasons9k Zone 8 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 13, 12 at 17:43

I would really love to find broadleaf plantain in my area but Im afraid Im not having such good luck with it. I did find this plant that I cannot identify (though I am new at this). I don't think its what Im searching for but what is it? Im in South Mississippi near a large lake. This was found in the summer time in a vacant field near the lake. It only has one leaf on each shoot that comes from the root. But there are many shoots in the cluster. The roots is about as long as an unshelled peanut with tiny roots coming from it. There is a slight purple tint to the shoots or stalks and they are slightly ridged but not really square. Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trying to find Plantain (herb)

Can you share a photo of the plant you are asking about? They help us immensely in identifying plants here.

Broadleaf plantain (aka Plantago major, "white man's foot") is one of those ubiquitous plants here. Any untreated lawn here is sure to have it and so I see lots of it. It doesn't have any purple tint at all in its leaves. The ridges/veins in the leaves are quite pronounced. The veins are like tiny cords you can actually pull intact from the leaves and when you pick the leaves you can often see those little cords dangling from the stem.

FataMorgana

o

Sorry, I thought I attached it. Here is the leaf.

o

It looks like a Violet leaf to me, but I am not familiar with Mississippi plants, so I don't know if you have any Violet look-alikes down there.

o

I know it's not plantain. Could I ask why you want some? It's a pain in my flower beds.

o

Does look rather like a flattened out violet leaf - usually violet leaves are curled so they take on a more heart-like shape.

Plantain is a great healing plant. People usually chew it or mash it up to put on bug bites, scrapes, etc. It works. I made some salve last week with plantain. I linked in a page from one of my favorite sites on its uses.

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: PFAF - Plantago major

o

I have broadleaf plantain in my yard. I think it must like some shade. I have the most where it gets some shade from our house and some runoff from the downspouts. I have clayish soil and the soil is kind of compacted in that area. Maybe it just because there's less grass there for it to compete with, but it seems quite happy. You might be more likely to find it growing in a yard than a field. Just watch for big leaves hugging the ground.

o

Im trying to find it because I just moved inside a State Park and I want to get to know the healing herbs that are in my area. Plantain is supposed to grow around here and from the read, its one of the most helpful for first aid skin abrasions, bug bites, bee stings, etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: MEDICINAL QUALITIES OF PLANTAIN - Herbal Legacy

o

Here is another photo of what I hope is the same plant.

o

Centella erecta perhaps?

Here is a link that might be useful: Centella erecta

o
This is why you need a local expert's help picking herbs!

The link shows "Pennywort".

Only problem is this is Dicondra a common lawn weed!

Hope it's not toxic long term. :-(

Here is a link that might be useful: And this person is consuming it!

o

There is a purple plantain.

o

Thank you. I don't think its pennywort, its not that small. Centella erecta, hmmm maybe. Purple Plantain picture.. I have nothing that looks anything like that. 0_0 Perhaps mine are not as mature. Do you have any pictures of the young ones and perhaps any that are not purple?
I really want to learn about the plants growing around me. Any suggestions?

o

• Posted by mytime 3/4 Alaska (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 14, 12 at 12:12

Seasons9k, are you still thinking your photo is of plantain? Look at the stem...plantain's is fairly flattened, whilst your photo appears to have a round, fleshy stem. In your photo, the stem and leaf definitely appear to be different parts of a plant. In plantain, the leaf just sort of morphs into the stem. And, perhaps it's because your first photo is somewhat dried, wilted, and flattened, but I think it is different from your second photo.
There are many excellent photos of plantain on the 'net.

Here is a link that might be useful: plantain

o

No, im sure it isn't plantain. I don't think I have any of that near me but I will continue to search for it. I've studied the photos in Google image search. I just don't understand why I can't find it. :( I would love to get an expert to walk around with me!

o

By this time any Plantago major growing near you would have the characteristic flowers I should think. You will probably have more luck looking for it in lawns and well trodden areas like footpaths, car park edges and derelict land than wild areas. It likes bare disturbed places rather than long grass.

By the way the two earlier photos you showed are of different plants.

Is there a course run locally you go on to help you id useful things?

o

No, no courses here. But I have high hopes of one day teaching such a course. =] This is a picture of what I "thought" i had found and why I thought it wss a plantain. (see link below)

Here is a link that might be useful: The Greater Plantain

o

Perhaps this site will be of use to you.

Here is a link that might be useful: You're in luck! Tennessee has 2 listings

o

Seasons9k - your last picture does appear to be Greater Plantain after someone has run over it with a lawnmower. Almost all the leaves look sliced off to me. But if you look carefully you can see a flower head lying horizontally on a leaf at 9.00 o'clock. This final picture is different again from your previous 2. Another clue is if you tear a leaf or stem you will get long fibres visible and hanging out of the leaf/stem.

o

Purple plantain, that's a new one to me. Thanks, carol.

Seasons, I agree. That is plantain in the last picture.

FataMorgana

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here