Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unknown Weed in my pasture

Posted by Turtle_lover54 Missouri (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 27, 14 at 18:03

Can anyone help me identify this plant??
I would also appreciate it if anyone could tell me if it is dangerous for horses, as these plants recently started cropping up everywhere on my property.I have 3 horses, one of which is a foal. Any helpful response is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unknown Weed in my pasture

Maybe Lespedeza cuneata.

Here is a link that might be useful: Silky Bushclover

o

Sorry, but that doesn't look like triple leaflets to me. How long are those leaves, Turtle lover? Are they in threes?

I'd guess Conyza canadensis (appropriately, Horseweed, Coltstail, Marestail) -- but that's only a guess.
http://florafinder.com/Species/Conyza_canadensis.php
http://www.cas.vanderbilt.edu/bioimages/species/frame/coca5.htm

o

ditto Conyza canadensis

o

Can you post a picture of the living plant showing details of the leaves? They look a bit silvery and succulent in the photo. Is that true?

It could well be Conyza canadensis but with seeing it close up it's impossible to tell if those leaves are toothed or the stems hairy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here