Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
retep65

What kind of plant is this

retep65
9 years ago

This plant is found in diffused light and in leaf covered mulchy dirt it seems to grow to about 2.5 to 3 feet. Have never seen it blossom I don't know if it does and I miss it or it just doesn't it comes back every year it doesn't seed the baby plant keeps growing out of main plant . It's driving me crazy trying to ID it !! Can any one help me? It grows in the woods.
Thanks

Comments (6)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

That's a hosta. Not native so must have been intentionally planted.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

one of the most active forums.. is the hosta forum ...

it might be one of the fragrant ones ... compare with royal standard ...

it might be plantiginea.. if its more of an apple green.. the pic is a bit weird ...

ken

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

Hostas make seeds and can get around without the aid of humans. Being native or not has nothing to do with whether or not a plant can spread around without human involvement. Otherwise, there would be no invasive exotic plants.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

ANY plant with viable seed can self-sow. It is just that some are less likely to do so freely or for the seeds/seedlings to appear at a significant distance from the mother plant.

And I had the impression that this plant was occurring in a woodsy portion of the OP's garden rather than in an open forest situation.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

I've wondered about that myself. Here's a pic from July, 2003, Hostas in a state park in Hocking Hills OH. Miles from any tended garden, at the bottom of "Ohio's Grand Canyon." It's possible this is a piece of guerrilla gardening. I know I've never pulled a sprout that looked like a stray Hosta and used to have a ton of them for years when I lived in OH. Absolutely, "in the woods" could mean near the house, or some remote location. I immediately thought of this old Hosta pic. How much do Hostas get around?

• missingtheobvious
    9 years ago

How much do hostas get around, you ask?

The Previous Owners of my house had two dozen-plus hostas of the same old green-leaved variety in the foundation plantings on the west side and the western north side of the house. (I am a daylily person rather than a hosta person, so at my urging, the Previous Owners took most of the hostas to their new house, but a few remained on the southern west side and the western north side.)

A year later, I made a shade bed in an area of the "lawn" -- where grass wouldn't grow -- on the south side of the house, and after a year or two, up popped a hosta seedling, some 50' from where the closest hosta had been.

And a couple of years after that, I found several hosta babies on the east side of the house, about 15' downhill from where the closest hosta had been, and a few feet around the corner of the house to boot.

[The remaining hostas and seedlings have gone to various friends, and this year for the first time there were no new seedlings. And now I'm wondering if I couldn't someday get a few more interesting-looking small hostas....]