Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greylady_gardener

small tree

this is a small tree in my yard (volunteer)

would love to know the name so that I can look up info on it. A neighbour has let two of them grow in their yard and they have become very nice small trees.
sorry for the sideways pic

Comments (9)

• saltcedar
    9 years ago

Black Walnut?

Here is a link that might be useful: Juglans nigra

• greylady_gardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

i see that the leaves do have a similar look, but the tree doesn't flower. I should say that I did read a year or so ago about the tree......but no name was given. It said that it was a small tree and people with small yards should consider giving it a chance. I bookmarked the info, but can't find it now

thank you for trying :)

• greylady_gardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

any other thoughts? :)

• OttawaGardener
    9 years ago

It sure has a classic "nut" look. I've grown black walnuts for decades, and at first glance would say it is one, but then noticed that the presentation of the leaves at the tip isn't right. It must be a nut of some kind... Not flowering isn't relevant at that size (assume you mean the catkins that black walnuts get).

• greylady_gardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The two trees that the neighbour has let grow, have been there about three or four years (since I noticed them) and are approx. 12 feet tall. They are a very light shade tree (meaning very open....not a dense leaf cover). They haven't flowered yet. Do you know how mature would they have to be before they flower?

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

What about Ailanthus (Tree of Heaven)?

• greylady_gardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

again, a very similar looking leaf, but a closer examination of the tree of heaven leaves (see link), shows that there are some tooth type notches on them. The leaves also seem to be much darker green and have a gloss to them. The tree in my yard has lighter leaves and they are dull and smooth edged (no teeth)

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:265608}}

• weedwoman
    9 years ago

Sure looks like Black Walnut to me (or maybe butternut, not so easy to tell from the leaves.) They'd need to be a lot bigger than this to get flowers or fruit, I would think. Does the foliage have a strong smell (characteristic of walnuts)? It's awfully close to the house, you might want to re-locate it before it gets too big.

WW

• greylady_gardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

weedwoman, I smelled the leaves and they just seem to smell like ....leaves...:), but looking at the pics of leaf images of the butternut tree, they are the closest match yet. The leaves on my volunteer tree, are lighter green and feel thin and kind of like crepe paper. They are dull, not shiny or thick and substantial feeling.

you are right about it being too close to the house. It was a volunteer and was hidden in the peony last year and this year got away from me before I could get out and dig it out before the peony started growing. It really shot up this year. I plan to move the peony in the fall and the tree will come out then.

thanks so much everyone for your input. :)