Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Not Virginia Creeper or Ginseng?

Posted by MarcPerr 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 7, 14 at 19:04

I'm fairly sure this is neither Virginia Creeper or Ginseng but what is it? I am finding it mostly in shaded areas, often alongside what clearly IS Virginia creeper.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Not Virginia Creeper or Ginseng?

Looks like virginia creeper to me. Why do you think it's not? Is it because it is behaving like a ground cover instead of a vine? Does that in deep shade.

FataMorgana

o

I don't think of Virginia Creeper as having leaflets on petioles. Maybe it is, but I'm not convinced.

o

Looks exactly like Virginia Creeper to me too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Virginia Creeper

o

Ditto

o

Then, why do some VC have leaflets on petioles and others do not? The VC in this photo looks the same size but the leaflets are attached to the main stem. Are there different varieties?

o

This is another picture of virginia creeper... you can see the similarities to your vine. I think there are just variations in growth pattern.

Here is a link that might be useful: pic

This post was edited by ottawavalleygardener on Sun, Jun 8, 14 at 10:22

o

Yes, ottawavalleygardener, that picture looks just like the second photo I uploaded where the leaflets are attached to the stem. That's my dilemma, why are the leaflets on the other plant on long petioles? I suppose I should call them petiolules.

This post was edited by MarcPerr on Sun, Jun 8, 14 at 11:35

o

Virginia creeper with an underplanting of poison ivy.

o

Yes, dave-in-nova, lol, I do see the poison ivy. It grows everywhere here. It especially loves hiding out in virginia creeper.

o

I just took pictures of one of my Virginia Creepers, and if the link works, you can see that on the same plant, there are variations re: petiole.

Here is a link that might be useful: virginia creeper

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here