Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leafy Green with yellow flowers

Posted by sfbriancl CA (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 26, 13 at 19:17

I purchased this plant at a random garden sale for a non-profit. The volunteer who sold it to me said it was some sort of cabbage/bok choy relative. A few days ago I noticed that it had some buds, and now they bloomed into some pretty little yellow flowers.

Anybody know what this is? Should I snip the flowers off?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leafy Green with yellow flowers

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 26, 13 at 19:29

Looks like baby bok choy. This and various other similar leafy vegetables are garden forms of mustard plants. So when they mature and bloom you get mustard flowers, regardless of what the plant looks like. Cabbage, cauliflower, kale and so on ... all mustards. Of course the more extremely divergent (unnatural) kinds may not been seen flowering.

o

Thanks!

o

If you let those flowers mature into pods, you can harvest the seeds when they're dry & brown - that's what I do

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here