Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaine23

What is this, a daisy of some kind?

kaine23
9 years ago

I got these popping up everywhere in one of my gardens. Is this some kind of daisy?

Comments (6)

• jaynine
    9 years ago

Lobelia inflata?

• weedlady
    9 years ago

Be easy to tell once it blooms. Definitely not a daisy; L. inflate seems a good candidate.

• kaine23
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So it's some kind of weed?

• missingtheobvious
    9 years ago

It's a wildflower. Some wildflowers everyone is thrilled to discover. Other wildflowers are rarely tolerated. This one probably falls somewhere in the middle. It's up to you whether you see it as something to put in the garden or something you don't want in the garden.

I have 3/4 acre of yard and another acre which over the past 75 years or so has been orchard, truck garden, and horse pasture. I've moved many wildflowers from the back acre to the front or back yards: violets, blue-eyed grass, reclining St. Andrew's cross, ox-eye daisy, virgin's bower clematis, bracken fern, and lyre-leaf sage. There's a volunteer Mahonia under the hedge which I'm happy to let remain, moth mullein which popped up in a bed with matching-colored flowers, and three native hollies which I'll let stay in the bed by the carport until I'm ready to plant other things there.

Now if you want a list of the wildflowers and shrubs and tree seedlings which have been weeded out of the beds in the yard ... well, that's a longer list.

It's entirely up to you whether you keep your wildflower.

• TulsaRose
    9 years ago

Lobelia inflata is an annual or biennial herb. In addition to "Indian tobacco" some of the other common names are: Pukeweed, Asthma Weed, Gagroot, Vomitwort. :-) Makes me want to run right out and buy seeds. lol!

When your plants start blooming, come back to this thread and post new images to get a positive ID.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

it is a weed in my hosta and conifer beds ...

if you collect natives.. or herbs.. all the power to ya...

but dont let said information confuse you into thinking that labeling something as such.. makes it valuable in all gardens ...

its simple to ask yourself.. did i plant that there ... and if you did not.. then it is a WEED ... one of the simpler definitions of WEED ...

the second question ... in my garden is.. is it worth what i paid for it ... and if it came out of a birds butt ... or the wind.. i didnt pay anything for it.. and its immediately suspect ...

enjoy it.. watch it flower ... but get rid of it.. BEFORE IT SETS SEED.. unless you define a significant value to it ... usually.. it it appears gratuitously ... if you let it seed... you better be ready for hundreds more next year.. and you wont have to rely on the bird ....

ken

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer