Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help id...

Posted by dtorre fl (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 18, 14 at 19:45

Central FL, found these in middle of property overgrown for 10 years...younger plant looked similar to aloe but these are a thinner leaf and droopy. Want to know if they are beneficial? Or if I should remove for planting a garden. Thanks for any help

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help id...

Puya sp

o

The 'grassy' plants? I thought Billbergia when I looked at the pic.

o

Some terrestrial bromeliad, maybe puya or bromelia, so droopy they seem to be in excessive shade. Beware, in the right spot they can get enormous, and the spines are wicked. Takes an enthusiast to grow them for their amazing flowers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bromelia

o

They remind me of the Yucca filamentosa which grow around the trees above the creek (where the mower doesn't get them).

I assume bromeliads wouldn't survive in 7a (this past winter was more like 6b).

o

Central florida is 9b/10a. Puya is common there.

o

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I certainly wasn't suggesting that bromeliads don't grow in central Florida, simply noting a resemblance to what I believe are Yucca filamentosa (common in NC and hardy in colder zones than we have in NC, and like the photo, rather floppy under the trees above the creek).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here