Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this a weed?

Posted by xjennx08 Indianapolis, IN (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 2, 14 at 20:02

This plant/weed is growing very rapidly in one of my flower beds. I think it is a weed/vine of some sort, but I wanted to check here first just in case it isn't. It is about 2 ft high and each part is a separate sprout out of the ground instead of being connected to each other. Does anyone know if it is a plant or if its a weed?

Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this a weed?

Is the plant scented?

o

I haven't noticed a scent at all.

o

Do cats like to nibble on it? :)

o

If you brush against or rub a leaf does it smell? It looks like a mint.

o

I haven't noticed a scent at all.

o

whoops i didn't mean to post the same response twice. we don't have outdoor cats and my dogs would never let any neighborhood cats near the house, so no way of knowing if cats like it or not. i will try to smell a leaf tomorrow. whatever it is, its taking over the flower bed.

o

Might it be common chickweed?

o

Looks like mint to me, too.

o

I picked some of it and brought it in to see how my cats reacted to it. They didn't seem to be overly fascinated by it--nothing like they are with cat nip. It smells maybe a little minty. If it is mint, is it the kind you can use in cooking? If I'm going to pull most of it up, it would be nice to have a use for it so it isn't all wasted.

o

it looks like it is growing on runners... even though i note you said not ...

make sure ... because if it is.. pulling it up.. might not work .. and no one enjoys doing the same job twice ...

its not a great close up ... i dont know why snapdragon popped in my head ... any chance you had those there last year... but do note .. mint came first to mind

ken

ps: i would suggest.. if you want to eat from your garden.. you buy specific plants for such ... at this point.. no one has IDd this plant.. i would not eat it ...

o

If it smells like mint and has square stems then it must be a mint.

o

Just looks like perfectly ordinary spear mint to me. Crush some leaves. Can you really not smell it? Even in a glass with ice, lime juice and rum?

This post was edited by floral_uk on Tue, Jun 3, 14 at 14:20

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here