Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help again.

Posted by iBarok 8 AR (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 25, 13 at 20:12

You are all very helpful the last time I asked something in this forum. I need your help once again to I.D. this plant. Picture is taken from Tyler, TX. Used as an ornamental/ landscaping plant. The fruits(?) look like gummy bear. What is this?

This post was edited by iBarok on Tue, Jun 25, 13 at 20:42

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help again.

Podocarpus. The fleshy purple aril is edible, but NOT the green seed.

o

Outrageous looking! :)

o

It Came From Space....

o

Looks like a plant from a Dr Seuss book...

o

Looks interesting to me. Do tell us what it tastes like....

o

Mildly sweet berry flavor.

o

Thank you for the ID.

o

This is another name I hope I remember if I see it for sale in its' "boring" state sometime. The plant behind those berry things is a real yawn, but wow if it does that colorful display every year! (GW says Tyler, TX is Z8, btw...) Is a species name necessary, or is this "the" one "they" usually sell?

o

It's the one usually sold, Podocarpus macrophyllus var. maki, however only the females bear fruit. Also you'd need a nearby male.

o

TY, Salt, appreciate that!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here