Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Did I make a mistake?

Posted by Disaster28 none (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 17, 14 at 20:46

I had a huge area full of these things that I ripped out. Did I make a mistake? I am very curious about what they are and whether I should keep the last few that are around. They have a tuber root. Also the plants underneath that cover everything also have a tuber root. What are those?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Did I make a mistake?

Here is another picture. They had tiny little white flowers underneath but now those are all gone

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 17, 14 at 20:59

Solomon's Seal, Polygonatum multiflorum, I think.

The other is a violet, I think.

o

Yes: Solomon's Seal and a violet.

Solomon's Seal is a woodland wildflower which many grow for its beauty. They are happy in shade (I don't know how happy they are in sun, as mine are all growing in deep shade). Mine spread faster than I'd expected, but that isn't a problem yet, and would never cause me to get rid of them all.

The violets could be Viola sororia, aka the Common Blue Violet -- or another similar wild or cultivated Viola. Here, they are happy in shade, happy in sun, happy in the lawn, happy anywhere. In shade, they will grow taller stems. They tolerate dry conditions well once the roots are well-established, and in drought conditions will lose leaves but survive. Yes: they will seed and come up everywhere.

o

Wow thanks! You guys are amazing!

o

if those are violets.. they are hyper fert'd ... dont you think.. crikey they are huge ...

ken

o

The Solomon's Seal will stay to shady areas and so will the violets for the most part. You don't have to worry about them taking over your whole place. In fact, I love both and have added them to my shade and woodland gardens.

I'm not sure what you are intending to plant in that area but given what is growing there, shade plants are the answer. Finding ones that do well next to a foundation, even tougher. You may wish to leave some of the plants to fill back in since they are infinitely better to look at than bare dirt and measly looking weeds.

FataMorgana

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here