Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mommadaggs

My grandma called it a monkey tree

mommadaggs
10 years ago

we have had this plant for 30 years. it was my grandmas plant and no one has been able to identify it... it slows down growing wise in winter when it is inside and once spring hits it grows like crazy! we haven't been able to root it either! there are some of the stems that are wood??? Help!

Comments (15)

• surya55_gw
    10 years ago

It may be wisteria vine?

• carol23_gw
    10 years ago

It's difficult to hone in on the leaf shape. If you break a stem, does it exude a white sap?
    I wonder if it could be Pedilanthus.

Here's your photo in the upright position.

• saltcedar
    10 years ago

Slipper Flower Pedilanthus sp.

• costaricafinca
    10 years ago

Pedilanthus tithymaloides, AKA zig-zag, Jacob's ladder.
    When outside in a warm climate it produces tiny red flowers that hummingbirds love!
    The variegated species produces a pink flower, that the hummers think is 'so-so'.
    Usually roots directly in soil, very easy. I just pruned and 'planted' some yesterday.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

"They" are calling this Euphorbia now. Wash hands well if you come in contact with the sap/juices.

• costaricafinca
    10 years ago

Do 'they' know how long it took me to remember the name Pedilanthus tithymaloides?

• mommadaggs
    Original Author
    10 years ago

here is a more up close shot..

• nyphrodel
    10 years ago

I have one of these, actually two, but different species. One is not quite so zig-zag. But when they get a little bit more sun than usual, they get a pretty pink hue to the leaves. It can be quite beautiful.

• costaricafinca
    10 years ago

My variegated plants get the 'pink hue' to them
    I have found that here is Costa Rica they produce more blooms if they are 'more or less' ignored and in the full sun, even in the dry season!

• mommadaggs
    Original Author
    10 years ago

how can we root it? my mother has tried everything! she wants all the grandkids to have a piece of gramdma's plant...

• saltcedar
    10 years ago

Very easy to root. Just cut off a section lay it on an out
    of the way spot for a day or two then pot up in a cactus
    soil. It'll root within a week or maybe two if it's moist, not wet.

• nyphrodel
    10 years ago

These are very hardy and incredibly easy to root. I pruned both of mine in spring and I have so many plants at this point that I just set them aside with other "to do" plants. Well, it turns out that they sat for almost 2 months! I am NOT kidding, I then stuck a rubberband around the whole bunch and just stuck them in my "junk" pot. My junk pot is a planter where I put plants that I don't have time to take care of because I need to mix mediums for them, clean and bleach a new pot, cut screen for the bottom, etc...Right now my junk pot has a Lipstick plant , a wax leaf red bloom Begonia, a small Kalanchoe and now a Pedilanthus or as I call it a Jacob's Ladder. I am astounded at the resilience of this plant. By the way, my original came from my friends Grandmother's tree, who gave it to her daughter and she in turn gave it to her son; my friend.

One more thing. The full tree that I got my original cuttings from had some hardening of the stems, which I was told is no big deal. Well, this year, all of the stems and pieces that had this hardening, died underneath. It looked like a dried up husk, it was awful! Luckily, the rest of the tree did not suffer the same fate. Is this normal?

• costaricafinca
    10 years ago

Take cuttings from the newer tips of the existing plants and do what other posters advised.
    If some parts have this 'hardening' remove them, and it won't take long to produce new shoot and fill in the spaces.

• mommadaggs
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all so much for identifying this plant! my mother is thrilled! We are goint to try to root it and produce some more plants so we can all have some of grandma's favorite plant. i will let you know how we do!

thanks!!!!

• carol23_gw
    10 years ago

I have rooted them in water , in a glass or vase.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022